Can you recommend me a VPN?

BigBadBeef

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,

Is there a free VPN out there for linux that allows me to be selective about which applications' internet access would be rerouted through it?

I've used NordVPN "happily" for a number of years now. If the application allows it, you can configure the proxy settings manually. What I do is I just don't use the full VPN - just the browser extensions. On mobile devices, I use the full VPN. But, I could also configure things like my torrent client to use a VPN.

It's not as fine grained as one might think and I'm not sure it can be quite what you appear to be asking. The only way I can think of it working is if the applications themselves have their own VPN settings that can be configured manually.

I have Proton VPN installed which is free, and I also have an account with Windscribe which gives you 10gb free per month (if you give an email address, 2gb without). The problem with the free ones is they are not so fast, Windscribe is quicker but obviously has a monthly limit.

You could also try RiseUpVPN which is based on bitmask. I have not tried it.

Hi,

Is there a free VPN out there for linux that allows me to be selective about which applications' internet access would be rerouted through it?
Proton VPN is good, But the speed is normal from 10-20 Mbps, and Three servers are available. Just give it a try .

I can second Proton VPN works well here.

I use proton vpn, for free plan, you only get three locations, which is perfectly okay. However, I don't really recommend free vpns if you want to protect your privacy. You can also try calyx vpn which I haven't tried yet.
If you're planning to pay for a VPN service, try Mullvad VPN and proton vpn.

Proton VPN has a nice interface and is very fast but they're one of the more expensive options. There are tons of VPNs out there, i would recommend trying them out instead of asking us if you want one. Software often has free trial periods...

Just use Tor.

Tor is great, but it's also slower than VPNs.
Yea but VPNs are not as secure plus a lot of them that says zero logging have actually been reported to log user information. I'd rather be on the slow side.

Yea but VPNs are not as secure plus a lot of them that says zero logging have actually been reported to log user information. I'd rather be on the slow side.
yeah, personally I also use Tor. I guess OP wants to just hide his internet activity from ISP. But in this case, none of them would work, because an vpn route all of internet activity through their server.
Hi,

Orbot is the solution for something like this. then he can select which applications can access tor network

Hi,

You can check this article.

Members online