cannot access any website, internet is fine- connection timed out

Rhyperior701

Reaction score
Credits
I installed Kali on a virtual machine in VM with a bridged connection and the icon is showing connected, when I ping google, youtube, dns servers or any page pings go great but I can't access them through any browser. Every time the same error: connection timed out. I turned off every proxy setting, I have tried with automatic proxy settings. Firewall is not even installed, I have fought this problem for the last week day and night and this is my cry for help.
Edit:
I have installed Fedora as a VM and connection still doesn't work so I am suspecting the bridged connection is the problem so still any help could be of use.
Edit: The problem is solved antivirus on main machine was causing the problem

Last edited:

Hey there - welcome to Linux.org..

I'll start right off and let you know we get a lot of people jumping right into Kali on here that don't have the Linux background to figure out some basic networking and troubleshooting.. your post may get some replies assuming this.

So - continuing on..

You can ping fqdns, so that means you can resolve things.. meaning dns lookups are fine..

Have you tried using traceroute to any servers? TCP traceroute? Have you tried netcat or telnetting to a remote 80/443 port to test connectivity?

Hey there - welcome to Linux.org..

I'll start right off and let you know we get a lot of people jumping right into Kali on here that don't have the Linux background to figure out some basic networking and troubleshooting.. your post may get some replies assuming this.

So - continuing on..

You can ping fqdns, so that means you can resolve things.. meaning dns lookups are fine..

Have you tried using traceroute to any servers? TCP traceroute? Have you tried netcat or telnetting to a remote 80/443 port to test connectivity?

I have tried traceroute, and it just returns asterisks, I'm assuming that means the packages are dropped, and I have tried netcat but it returns just nothing maybe I'm doing it wrong could you walk me through it please

Correct, asterisks basically mean the remote exceeded the timeout to respond.. could be they are blocking icmp or are just unreachable.

Do you have any machines on your local network that you can test telnet/netcat to? I usually test basic connectivity with telnet like: telnet remotehost.com 443 (to see if the remote host is listening on port 443).

Maybe nmap your local network to see what you can see..
Code:
nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24
^ replace 192.168.1.0/24 with your subnet..

Correct, asterisks basically mean the remote exceeded the timeout to respond.. could be they are blocking icmp or are just unreachable.

Do you have any machines on your local network that you can test telnet/netcat to? I usually test basic connectivity with telnet like: telnet remotehost.com 443 (to see if the remote host is listening on port 443).

Maybe nmap your local network to see what you can see..
Code:
nmap -sP 192.168.1.0/24
^ replace 192.168.1.0/24 with your subnet..
I just tried to netcat with a machine on my network and connection just times out it can't connect, also telnet to remotehost.com times out. Nmap gave me ip and mac addresses of connected devices and that's it.

I'm not sure if remotehost.com actually exists - i'm saying replace that with a real fqdn that you're trying to hit, along w/ the port that should be open (443 for https).

I'm guessing there's something blocking network connectivity either within the OS or some setting in that VM bridge connection.

I'm not sure if remotehost.com actually exists - i'm saying replace that with a real fqdn that you're trying to hit, along w/ the port that should be open (443 for https).

I'm guessing there's something blocking network connectivity either within the OS or some setting in that VM bridge connection.
I also think it's something within the OS, that is why I turned here, I'm downloading Fedora since I heard it's easy to use and good for beginners on linux and I'll see if bridged connection works there, also the problem persists in live and installed version of kali and because it freezed on "configuring network" in the installation I canceled the automatic network configuation as suggested from another forum and said that " I will manually configure the network later" for what I didn't see no need because it was already connected when it booted up, if all that could do any help.

Have you tried other connections besides bridged? What does the network look like to you your host system? Is it "Private", "Work", "Public"? This could apply a different firewall at the host level between your VM and the internet than what is applied to your host to the internet. This is assuming a Windows environment for the host. You could also try some different network adapter settings within VMware. I would try NAT or the additional option under Bridged.

Switching OS may fix the problem but it may not since you can reach the internet via icmp but not by TCP protocols. I would review the settings in VMware and network adapter/security settings on the host machine.

Members online

Latest posts