Cannot Boot after Updating to Linux 4.15.0-124

DecisiveLiberty

Reaction score
Credits
Have been able to boot to any previous version on the machine but the latest update always results in a crash -- as the update was just tonight, not sure how many other may (or may not) have had the same experience.

Attempted to no avail...
fsck /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root

Results:
Error 2 (No such file or directory) while executing fsck.ext2 for fsck /dev/mapper/mint--vg-root

Attempted to unmount, just in case - could not find mint
Navigated to the mapper directory and no mint file or folder...

As I can use the other version without a problem, believing something in the update is not kosher...

Gday DecisiveLiberty, Welcome to linux.org

Which particular distro are you running ?

Do you have Timeshift installed, with snapshots saved ?

As Condobloke said, have you a Timeshift Snapshot you made before you installed this Kernel ?
It's a good idea to create a Snapshot before you install a new Kernel from the Update Manager.
It would help if you told us which version of Linux Mint you're running. :)

If you don't have a Timeshift Snapshot, then you'll have to Rollback to the previous Kernel.

I'm running Mint Cinnamon 19.1 and I installed kernel 4.15.0-124 yesterday and it works just fine. :)

Chances are that your distro still has the older kernel installed. Most major distros do that these days - and it's rather nice that they do.

Press and hold SHIFT (or pound on it over and over again), immediately after the BIOS - your timing has to be pretty good, and you can probably boot with the slightly older kernel by choosing an advanced or recovery mode option during the GRUB2 dialogue.

You can uninstall the kernel, or just do that (or even stay booted) until the next kernel update comes down the pipe.

G'day @DecisiveLiberty from yet another Aussie (now 3 in this Thread) and welcome to linux.org :)

0cd7RxV.gif

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke, trips over prostrate Aussies sleeping off the effects of too much Fosters)

Need some more info from you, Mate.
  1. Is this rig just running Linux only, or dualbooting with Windows?
  2. If the latter, you already have a Grub Menu, and can choose the line under your Linux saying Advanced Options and from there choose the previous kernel to try.
  3. ...but the latest update always results in a crash
    . Describe the "crash" - what shows, or what does the computer do? Provide a picture for us if you can, or the text of any error message/s, exactly.

4. Brand name and model number of computer might help.
  5. Do you run your updates using the GUI-based Update Manager, Synaptic Package Manager, or through Terminal?

For those helping, the updates to kernel 4.15.0-124 are occurring with
  • Linux Mint 19x series
  • Kubuntu 18.04
  • Peppermint 9
  • Elementary 5.1.7
  • Zorin 12
  • and other Debian-based Distros
To add to what Sam said above:

I run close to 60 Distros on this rig, including all of the bulleted ones listed above, have run the update to 4.15.0-124 and no problems, so it is not a matter of whether that kernel is kosher, but rather why your rig is having a problem with it, if that is the cause.

A number of these update runs also include the following

grub-common grub-efi-amd64 grub-efi-amd64-bin grub-efi-amd64-signed grub2-common

... depending on whether you are using a UEFI computer. Some of these can present issues, but more important for now is to identify what Distro, version and Desktop Environment you are using, and then answer the questions I have posed.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Members online