Cannot connect to the internet

xplosionmind

Reaction score
Credits
All of a sudden, after booting my device, the internet seems to be connected, but I cannot browse the web and ping command does not work. Could you help me? Here is the output of All of a sudden, after booting my device, the internet seems to be connected, but I cannot browse the web and
Code:
ping
command does not work. Could you help me? Here is the output of
Code:
ip -s link show

Code:
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00
    RX:  bytes packets errors dropped  missed   mcast           
        409772    5642      0       0       0       0
    TX:  bytes packets errors dropped carrier collsns           
        409772    5642      0       0       0       0
2: wwan0: <POINTOPOINT,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/none
             0       0      0       0       0       0
           384       8      0       0       0       0
3: wlp0s20f3: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UP mode DORMANT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether a0:29:42:6b:be:30 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
      28283914   23548      0       0       0       0
        896234    8245      0       0       0       0
4: ipv6leakintrf0: <BROADCAST,NOARP,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN mode DEFAULT group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 1a:e9:ab:04:bc:c4 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff
             0       0      0       0       0       0
        187750    1953      0       0       0       0

Two things you can do/check - the first is

1) Open Firefox and go to Settings.

2) In the General tab scroll to the bottom.

3) Under the Network Proxy header click on Settings...

4) At the top, choose Auto detect proxy settings for this network

5) Click OK - close browser and reopen it

type www.google.com in the URL bar and see if it works!

The second thing is to modify the resolver configuration file with the following steps:

Open the file /etc/resolv.conf
Change the line:

nameserver x.x.x.x

to:

nameserver 8.8.8.8

Note: 8.8.8.8 is the IP address for Google's DNS service. If you would prefer a different DNS service, replace the IP above with the one you prefer.

Reactions: Rob
Thanks a lot @Lord Boltar for your reply, but I just received a reply from Proton VPN support: they instructed me to disable the Proton VPN kill switch (even if it appeared as disabled), and now everything works smoothly.

Based on the output of the ip -s link show command, it seems that your network interface is up and running. However, you may have a problem with your DNS resolution or default gateway.

You can check your DNS resolution by using the nslookup command. For example, try running nslookup google.com and see if you get a valid IP address for the website. If not, you may need to update your DNS settings.

To check your default gateway, you can use the ip route command. It should show you the default gateway IP address, which you can then try to ping using the ping command.

If neither of these approaches work, try resetting your network interface by running sudo ifdown <interface name> followed by sudo ifup <interface name>. You may need to replace <interface name> with the actual name of your network interface, which can be found in the output of the ip -s link show command.

Members online

Latest posts