Cannot correctly wipe empty space

U

ubuntuwipe

Hello,

I would like to ask you for advice about how to wipe empty space on Ubuntu. I have encrypted drive if it makes any difference in case of wiping.

I have used BleachBit application and it was able to delete all my private files. But unfortunately when I choose wipe empty space, it becomes unresponsive.

So I've tried the second approach. I've used "dd if=/dev/urandom of=WIPE_FILE". It created big file so there was 0 bytes left on my disc (at least I could see it in: Home/Properties). Later I have deleted this file. (Approach suggested here: on ubuntuforums).

I thought deleted files were gone but I just wanted to be on the safe side and used photorec application. And it was able to recover many gigabytes of data on /dev/sda.

Surprisingly, one of these things created directory 6ShZi1ctOo in my home directory. But I cannot check its size in properties (cannot finish counting) and when I enter this directory, it never finishes "Loading" its content (does not show any files inside). Its properties say inode/directory type.

So how can I wipe the data if BleachBit fails and 'dd' does not help (as PhotoRec recovers numerous files).

Thanks in advance for help!

Members online