Cannot enter my passphrase

S

sunflowerX

Hello,
Ive just installed ubuntu and chose to encrypt it. However, when I am asked to enter my passphrase, display switches between ubuntu logo and space for entering the passphrase and black background resembling terminal where stars also appear. These two things switch after entering 2-3 characters ("ubuntu page" disappears and "black page with plain text" appears and vice versa). There is also different number of "stars" on each of them. They switch so rapidly I am unable to write whole passphrase in one place so it is impossible to unlock my computer.
I am writing this post from another PC.
Can this be fixed or do i need to install ubuntu without encryption?

When you use a TERMINAL, for security purposes, in case somebody is looking over your shoulder, your password does not appear. You just have to type your password and hit "Enter".

I wonder if you should ignore the number of stars, type your password and hit "Enter".

Did you do Whole Disk Encryption or encrypt your Home?

The problem was that my num lock was turned off and keyboard was changed from my language to english layout. Because i could see only stars, i didnt notice that.

So is you problem now solved or does it still exist?

It is solved now. Thank you for your time :)
The problem was in ubuntu installation. First, you enter password using English keyboard but you dont notice that because all you see are stars and you chose your keyboard only after that. Than, when the installation is complete and you try to log in, you cant, because now you use different keyboard.
It would be great if installation would ask for preferred keyboard first and than people would enter password (im talking about encryption password now, not admin password)

Members online

Latest posts