cannot install printer driver

S

sophie87

Hi,
ive just installed new version of ubuntu. However, i cant install my printer. At first it seems the system finds the driver and starts installing it. I can see the progress, but in the middle of the installation process it freezes.
My computer is Asus X550C and the printer is Epson XP600
Any advice?
Im new to Linux so please try to answer in simple terms. Thank you.

thank you. I tried that and it seemed to work, but at the end it said there was problem with dependencies. Than I tried to download it in software centre and it said:
"
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of epson-inkjet-printer-201208w:
epson-inkjet-printer-201208w depends on lsb (>= 3.2).
dpkg: error processing package epson-inkjet-printer-201208w (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured"

Thank you arochester, but this is what i did in the beginning. I connected the printer and Linux found the driver automatically and started to install it. I entered my password and it worked nicely until about two thirds of installation and than it froze. I waited for about an hour, it didnt finish. I tried this several times.
Another thing I tried was installation CD. It didnt run automatically, but there was install.exe file. As far as i understand, one has to use wine to open these files. So I chose to open with wine. Nothing happened.
Im getting nervous because i turned both my and my fathers computer to Linux because it seemed to work perfectly when i tried it. I guess i shouldnt have done that...

somehow it seems that the driver was installed from software centre and i can see the printer icon. Hovewer, it doesnt work at all. It still shows problem with dependencies.
I found these answers (forum wont let me post the link)
and tried to install lsb-pkgchk3 because one person wrote it helped him resolve problem with dependencies. I used manual (again cant post link)
But something very strange happened- the terminal wont do anything! it doesnt react to "sudo". it doesnt even ask for password. I copied everything from the website (so that i wont make a mistake). I am the only user here and i am set to administrator.
When i copy-paste those commands, the terminal just moves the cursor one line downwards and does absolutely nothing.
I dont understand whats happening, because ive installed a few things before using terminal and sudo apt-get and everything went ok.

oh, i see where was the problem with the terminal. There wasnt my name at the beginning of the line. Sudo now works but that still didnt solve the problem.
omg im so stupid :DDDD

Normally, when you "Add New Printer" it asks for your (sudo) password. Did it do that?

yes. I entered the password and it is now installed.I can see the icon with green tick. I also installed it on some web page with number, like localhost631 or something like that. It detected it and installed normally. It just wont print.
Umg, there are so many things i tried so i dont remeber exectly where it said but 2 or 3 times i saw something like problem with dependencies (no idea what it is).

How have you tried to make it print? Have you opened a Word Processor program and told it to print from there?

Yes, but it doesnt. But i guess it is broken. It wont even copy (it doesnt need a computer for that) and it doesnt print even when connected to another computer. So I think there is a problem with the printer itself and we will take it to service.
So id like to thank you very much for your help and advice, i really appreciate your time! :)
At least you taught me how to install .deb files because i didnt know that before :)

Yes, but it doesnt. But i guess it is broken. It wont even copy (it doesnt need a computer for that) and it doesnt print even when connected to another computer. So I think there is a problem with the printer itself and we will take it to service.
So id like to thank you very much for your help and advice, i really appreciate your time! :)
At least you taught me how to install .deb files because i didnt know that before :)
If you are infact getting a different printer, I recommend the HP Officejet Pro 8610. Just got it yesterday and it works great with UBuntu 14.04.

Youre right. We had HP for several years and it worked great, until our cat destroyed it :p

If you are infact getting a different printer, I recommend the HP Officejet Pro 8610. Just got it yesterday and it works great with UBuntu 14.04.
Hello, sorry for the zombi post. I just buy the HP Officejet Pro 8610 and works perfectly as printer, but I can't connect to the scanner. Some help please?

Hello, sorry for the zombi post. I just buy the HP Officejet Pro 8610 and works perfectly as printer, but I can't connect to the scanner. Some help please?
What version of the HPLIP are you using? What distribution? Make sure you use the latest version and also make sure that SANE is installed.
For Ubuntu based distributions:
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/install/manual/distros/ubuntu.html

Workspace 3_036.png
From the command line you can use the hp-scan command. There is also a piece of software called gnome-scan that should provide basic scan utilities though it is a bit outdated.

And there is another program called simple-scan.

Last edited:
thanks for reply.

I have Ubuntu 14.04, and hplip-3.14.10. Sane is installed. I try diferents ways of installing the hplip, always in wifi, one of them need conects the printer to the pc with a usb, I don't try this.

The rest of options I have tried...

please help

Members online

Latest posts