Cannot Open Unity Editor in Ubuntu

gdb

Reaction score
Credits
(I am using ubuntu jamming jellyfish btw)

Every time I try to open a new unity project, I get the following fatal error message: "Failed to initialize unity graphics. Please make sure that your graphics card drivers are installed/up to date and that it meet the minimum requirements listed in our website" I have tried EVERYTHING that I can think of to fix this issue. I am using a Toshiba Satellite L505-ES5018 Laptop with Intel Mobile GM45 drivers. If anyone knows what is going on, please respond as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Both of you welcome to the forums.

gdb

Did you use Ubuntu or any Linux OS before you installed "Lobster"? If so were you able to use the "older" Linux OS? Did you have Windows before? You have to supply a bit more information here. If you still have the ISO around in a bootable disk, start it up into the "live mode", open the terminal and then do "inxi" command. This is in case the "older" Linux OS doesn't have a "system information" program that could be accessed easily.

To update the graphics drivers/firmware you might have to visit Intel's web site. You will have to search around, otherwise it could be a chore.

For starters, at the terminal:
inxi -CFG

copy what is output and paste it in your next report on this forum.

Last edited:
It would help us help you if you listed your graphics card. And please let us know are you using ubuntu unity or is this a ubuntu install that you added unity to?
Thanks and welcome to the Forum.

It would help us help you if you listed your graphics card. And please let us know are you using ubuntu unity or is this a ubuntu install that you added unity to?
Thanks and welcome to the Forum.
My graphics card is a GM45, it is very old

Both of you welcome to the forums.

gdb

Did you use Ubuntu or any Linux OS before you installed "Lobster"? If so were you able to use the "older" Linux OS? Did you have Windows before? You have to supply a bit more information here. If you still have the ISO around in a bootable disk, start it up into the "live mode", open the terminal and then do "inxi" command. This is in case the "older" Linux OS doesn't have a "system information" program that could be accessed easily.

To update the graphics drivers/firmware you might have to visit Intel's web site. You will have to search around, otherwise it could be a chore.

For starters, at the terminal:
inxi -CFG

copy what is output and paste it in your next report on this forum.
Before having ubuntu on this device, it have windows 7, then was updated to windows 10, then, somehow, windows 10 stopped working, so I re-intalled windows 10. But, forgot the product key. So i installed ubuntu.

What is the make and model of your machine? The GM45 is quite old and may not be supported in the latest versions of Ubuntu.

My graphics card is a GM45, it is very old
I suggest you head into this forum and allow the good blokes over there to assist you: ;)

Although you might insist on the "new" Unity. If you really did try to install Ubuntu v23.04 "Lunar Lobster" and it didn't work, then it's worth to try again with v22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish". Yes it's older but it's a stable release and expected to support a wider range of equipment. If even that doesn't work then you might be out of luck with Ubuntu in particular. It might require an even older ISO but this was before Rudra revived the Unity project and made it appealing again.

(Yes this link somewhat misleadingly says the "latest stable" release but if it doesn't work on your computer, but LTS does...)

Last edited:
What is the make and model of your machine? The GM45 is quite old and may not be supported in the latest versions of Ubuntu.
the model of my laptop is the Toshiba Satellite L505-ES5018

I suggest you head into this forum and allow the good blokes over there to assist you: ;)

Although you might insist on the "new" Unity. If you really did try to install Ubuntu v23.04 "Lunar Lobster" and it didn't work, then it's worth to try again with v22.04 LTS "Jammy Jellyfish". Yes it's older but it's a stable release and expected to support a wider range of equipment. If even that doesn't work then you might be out of luck with Ubuntu in particular. It might require an even older ISO but this was before Rudra revived the Unity project and made it appealing again.

(Yes this link somewhat misleadingly says the "latest stable" release but if it doesn't work on your computer, but LTS does...)
I am using jamming jellyfish, I did not know that there was a version of ubuntu newer that jamming jellyfish yet, I will update my post

I ran the command "inxi -CFG" and this was the output:

System:
Host: gdb-Satellite-L505 Kernel: 5.19.0-42-generic x86_64 bits: 64
Desktop: GNOME 42.5 Distro: Ubuntu 22.04.2 LTS (Jammy Jellyfish)
Machine:
Type: Laptop System: TOSHIBA product: Satellite L505 v: PSLU0U-02S034
serial: <superuser required>
Mobo: TOSHIBA model: Portable PC serial: <superuser required>
BIOS: INSYDE v: 1.50 date: 12/15/2009
Battery:
ID-1: BAT0 charge: 21.7 Wh (56.1%) condition: 38.7/47.5 Wh (81.5%)
volts: 10.8 min: 10.8
CPU:
Info: dual core model: Pentium T4400 bits: 64 type: MCP cache: L2: 1024 KiB
Speed (MHz): avg: 1197 min/max: 1200/2200 cores: 1: 1197 2: 1197
Graphics:
Device-1: Intel Mobile 4 Series Integrated Graphics driver: i915 v: kernel
Device-2: Chicony USB2.0 UVC WebCam type: USB driver: uvcvideo
Display: wayland server: X.Org v: 1.22.1.1 with: Xwayland v: 22.1.1
compositor: gnome-shell driver: gpu: i915 resolution: 1360x768~60Hz
OpenGL: renderer: Mesa Mobile Intel GM45 Express (CTG)
v: 2.1 Mesa 23.2.0-devel (git-ea2eade 2023-05-25 jammy-oibaf-ppa)
Audio:
Device-1: Intel 82801I HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
Sound Server-1: ALSA v: k5.19.0-42-generic running: yes
Sound Server-2: PulseAudio v: 15.99.1 running: yes
Sound Server-3: PipeWire v: 0.3.48 running: yes
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL810xE PCI Express Fast Ethernet driver: r8169
IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 00:26:6c:69:b8:fa
Device-2: Realtek RTL8191SEvB Wireless LAN driver: rtl8192se
IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 00:26:b6:a9:64:cc
Drives:
Local Storage: total: 223.57 GiB used: 38.33 GiB (17.1%)
ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: A-Data model: SU635 size: 223.57 GiB
Partition:
ID-1: / size: 218.51 GiB used: 38.33 GiB (17.5%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sda3
ID-2: /boot/efi size: 512 MiB used: 6.1 MiB (1.2%) fs: vfat
dev: /dev/sda2
Swap:
ID-1: swap-1 type: file size: 2 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) file: /swapfile
Sensors:
System Temperatures: cpu: 49.0 C mobo: N/A
Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
Processes: 210 Uptime: 9m Memory: 5.67 GiB used: 2.05 GiB (36.1%)
Shell: Bash inxi: 3.3.13

I am going to try to uninstall the unity hub and editor all together, re install, and see what happens

I meant the unity game editor

Last edited:

Members online