cannot start BIOS instead grub o.4.4 menu appears. im trying to boot pop!_os from a USB, any ideas?

If you have a question, please post it.

See the 2nd link in my signature.

Doesn't matter which OS your using.. what make/model is your computer [if self build what is the make/model of the motherboard]?

Doesn't matter which OS your using.. what make/model is your computer [if self build what is the make/model of the motherboard]?
OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Basic
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer TOSHIBA
System Model Satellite L850-B184
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3210M CPU @ 2.50GHz, 2501 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde Corp. 1.40, 4/24/2012
SMBIOS Version 2.7
Windows Directory C:\Windows
System Directory C:\Windows\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1

here^

The two usual methods of entering the Bios on a Toshiba l850 range..
switch on whist jiggling F2 key [usual method]

alternatively .. hold down the Esc key for three to five seconds when you switch on your laptop. This action brings up a prompt for you to press the F1 key, which takes you to the BIOS menu.

If this doesn't work, try holding down the Esc key before you switch on your laptop. The laptop beeps to inform you of an error, and then it prompts you to press F1 to get into BIOS.

Bwiz

when i try the esc method it leads to a red screen with "grub 0.4.4" and a bunch of options like menu.lst, grub command line etc

can i boot POP!_OS from grub 0.4.4 itself if BIOS doesnt come up?

can i boot POP!_OS from grub 0.4.4 itself if BIOS doesn't come up?
Pass.. its not a problem I have personally come across, I usually get away with the jiggling F2 method

i think this grub is blocking my access to BIOS

No, that's literally impossible. Grub doesn't load until after the BIOS has loaded and passed off the data (hardware info). Without that, nothing can happen.

Pass.. its not a problem I have personally come across, I usually get away with the jiggling F2 method
ohh wait lemme try jiggling f2 instead of just long pressing it

Last edited:
when i try the esc method it leads to a red screen with "grub 0.4.4" and a bunch of options like menu.lst, grub command line etc
but can u xplain to me why grub is loading in the first place i thought it was a linux bootloader but ive never installed linux..

Someone has installed Linux, or at least the bootloader. It is impossible for it to install itself. Someone booted to a CD or USB, and at least installed grub - possibly a botched Linux install.

To fix this (with a Linux installation) then just boot and keep pressing F12 over and over again - as soon as you turn the power on start pressing F12 over and over again. Don't just press and hold it, press it over and over again.

The above presumes that you already have a useful USB with valid installation media on it. If you don't, there are tons of tutorials that explain how. Basically, you download the .iso of your choice and either *write* (not copy) it to CD/DVD as an image or you "write" it to USB with a tool like Balena Etcher.

but can u xplain to me why grub is loading in the first place i thought it was a linux bootloader but ive never installed linux..
what i can tell from that info is that its grub legacy since only legacy grub had menu 1st; that was the good old days when you could actually understand it; then they brought along grub2 with files that when you open state things like ; do not edit this file ! yes grub is a linux bootloader and if you install any OS its often also installed as

before things get handed over to grub the computer using a chip on the motherboard does some basics things like a check of hard ware , using software that is present in a chip and therefore called "firmware" BIOS (basic input output system is at the beginning of the bootup process

For bios key and boot option key , normally from a cold boot if you study the screen it usually tells you how to access both for a few seconds .

Last edited:
Someone has installed Linux, or at least the bootloader. It is impossible for it to install itself. Someone booted to a CD or USB, and at least installed grub - possibly a botched Linux install.

To fix this (with a Linux installation) then just boot and keep pressing F12 over and over again - as soon as you turn the power on start pressing F12 over and over again. Don't just press and hold it, press it over and over again.

The above presumes that you already have a useful USB with valid installation media on it. If you don't, there are tons of tutorials that explain how. Basically, you download the .iso of your choice and either *write* (not copy) it to CD/DVD as an image or you "write" it to USB with a tool like Balena Etcher.
Yes I have burnt an iso of POP!OS with balena

what i can tell from that info is that its grub legacy since only legacy grub had menu 1st; that was the good old days when you could actually understand it; then they brought along grub2 with files that when you open state things like ; do not edit this file ! yes grub is a linux bootloader and if you install any OS its often also installed as

before things get handed over to grub the computer using a chip on the motherboard does some basics things like a check of hard ware , using software that is present in a chip and therefore called "firmware" BIOS (basic input output system is at the beginning of the bootup process

For bios key and boot option key , normally from a cold boot if you study the screen it usually tells you how to access both for a few seconds .

i did send my laptop to a technician once he might have had something to do with installing grub. Thanks for the info

Yes. before my laptop screen did show the toshiba loading thing now I have a dell monitor and the toshiba “loading” thing doesn’t come up.
And before u ask me not to use the dell monitor, my laptop screen is dead so uhh, yea

Attachments

• 8B1C6834-BE3B-4C3B-8ADD-F1B794294105.jpeg
    8B1C6834-BE3B-4C3B-8ADD-F1B794294105.jpeg
    11.6 KB · Views: 342

Members online