Cannot uninstall software (Manuskript) using Software Manager, Terminal (purge), Synaptics Manager etc, as not showing as installed???

zPuppy

Reaction score
Credits
Puzzled newbie here. So I was trying to use Scrivener on my linux Zorin setup, and after attempting Wine and Bottles install, which did load Scrivener, yet at the size of a postage stamp, I decided alternative options. I installed a few apps over some days and realised that I had two instances of Manuskript installed, I guess from Software Manager install or Flathub install + Terminal install.

To remove conflict of both instances I removed Manuskript or attempted to, using now, Software Manager, terminal purge, and even Synaptics PM.
I still have a version of Manuskript installed, shows up in App Search, loads etc, however it is showing completely uninstalled, and I can find no references to it anywhere?
The demo for Manuskript is Biblical chapters from the Book Of Acts. My only explanation so far for this remaining is some Divine intervention clearly superseding my mere mortal sudo level of control? I would be grateful for any earthly explanations.

Screenshot attached shows Manuskript open in right monitor, Synaptics open in left showing no install of Manuskript

Attachments

• ManuskriptPersists.png
    ManuskriptPersists.png
    1 MB · Views: 152

Is it possible you installed a snap version? Which would not show up as installed in syanptic.
I'm not sure about zorin I know it's based on Ubuntu so that may be a possibility. If that in fact is the case you can uninstall it with this command
Code:
sudo snap remove package_name
If it was a flatpack package use this command to see if it's listed as installed
Code:
flatpak list
and if it is use this command to remove it.
Code:
flatpak uninstall --delete-data App-ID
app-ID is the one listed in the list command.

Last edited:
Thank you kindly, you found him hiding in the flatpaks (flatpak list). My concern was that the install was some rogue copycat installed version of Manuskript, however if it is genuine, it can stay. Perhaps I may ask if there is an equivalent to Add/Remove Programs that lists all installs, or are they compartmentalized into Software Updater which I guess is same as Synaptics (or apt get install in terminal) and Flatpaks (seperate sandboxed installs???)

Thank you kindly, you found him hiding in the flatpaks (flatpak list). My concern was that the install was some rogue copycat installed version of Manuskript, however if it is genuine, it can stay. Perhaps I may ask if there is an equivalent to Add/Remove Programs that lists all installs, or are they compartmentalized into Software Updater which I guess is same as Synaptics (or apt get install in terminal) and Flatpaks (seperate sandboxed installs???)
Synaptic should show if you have more than one installation of that program, I'd think:-

IF not run:
Code:
dpkg -L manuskript

You may want to give Xiphos a spin.
Been using it for years. Works well and you can install multiple modules.

apt policy packagename
snap list
flatpak list

Will all show a package if it is installed, through that particular method.

The demo for Manuskript is Biblical chapters from the Book Of Acts. My only explanation so far for this remaining is some Divine intervention clearly superseding my mere mortal sudo level of control? I would be grateful for any earthly explanations.

LOL.....i Love that !!

G'day @zPuppy, Welcome to Linux.org

Zorin is a multi functional package format release it will accept any of the following packaging systems.
Supported app formats
  • APT
  • Flatpak
  • Snap
  • .deb
  • AppImage
  • .exe & .msi

Unfortunatly they all won't show up in the Package manager and some will require terminal intervention to manage. Like the one the op installed which was a flatpack. Snap packages are the same way. Appimages can be managed with the file manager.
In Zorin's attempt to be the one all inclusive place to get almost any app you might want to run. They have maybe inadvertently made the process of managing such a wide variety of methods complicated. which is strange in a way because they are trying to be a cross over from windows and newbie friendly distro. If the Devs were serious they would find a way to consolidate the effort into one great package management system. Maybe they have I just don't know about it because I have not used zorin except a few times since it was introduced. In any event the terminal come to the rescue again :)

Thank you for all the helpful input guys. I am still wrestling with my linux system on a daily basis, but is all play fighting ;)

Members online

Latest posts