Cant get cherrytree or zim to work on mint 19.3

john connor

Reaction score
Credits
I can't either one of these two to work. They download fine, but when you go to run them, the loading icon appears briefly and then nothing happens. I've tried downloading from software manager and this way(i actually didnt try zim this way thoug):

add-apt-repository ppa:giuspen/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get install cherrytree

Other pieces of software download and work just fine (VLC was one I tested). Not sure what to do as I'm new to linux. Thanks in advance

OK i changed the file to the newest version and it worked. I did all of the steps on the instructional, and when I finally run the program is does the same thing.
This file (cherrytree_0.38.9-0_all.deb) returned the 404 error, so I replaced it with the newest one,
(cherrytree_0.38.11-0_all.deb) and it worked.

2.2. Debian
How to install Cherrytree in Debian:
  1. Install wget and Cherrytree dependencies.
    sudo apt install wget python-dbus python-chardet python-enchant libcanberra-gtk-module libgtksourceview2.0-0 libgtksourceview2.0-common python-cairo python-gobject-2 python-gtk2 python-numpy
  2. Download python-gtksourceview2.
    wget http://ftp.br.debian.org/debian/pool/main/p/pygtksourceview/python-gtksourceview2_2.10.1-3_amd64.deb
  3. Install python-gtksourceview2.
    sudo dpkg -i python-gtksourceview2_2.10.1-3_amd64.deb
  4. Download Cherrytree.
    wget http://www.giuspen.com/software/cherrytree_0.38.9-0_all.deb
  5. Install Cherrytree.
    sudo dpkg -i cherrytree_0.38.9-0_all.deb

Cherrytree looks quite interesting. I had never heard of it. Been using Zim for quite a few years and find it very useful and convenient.

Thanks for the tip! :)

I suppose I should've rephrased my last reply. That list of commands worked so they no longer gave me the 404 error, however when I try to run the program after installing it, it immediately fails.

I suppose I should've rephrased my last reply. That list of commands worked so they no longer gave me the 404 error, however when I try to run the program after installing it, it immediately fails.
Oh. I thought you had it working. Have you tried Zim?
I installed my Zim from the Mint repos (I think).

Maybe I'll try Cherrytree and see if I can get it working. I'm on Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 here.

Edited to add: Well, this is interesting.... I just installed Cherrytree 0.37.6-1.1 from the Mint repos on my desktop box running Linux Mint Cinnamon 19.3 - using the Linux Mint Software Manager - and it installed just fine :/ I probably should have read up on how to use it but of course I did not :)
I just imported my Zim folder and voilà - there it all was ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Saved it - closed the app - and re-opened it to test - everything looks O.K.
harumph!

Last edited:
Hello @john connor and Welcome.
I am running Linux Mint 19.3 and have both CherryTree and Zim in the Software Manager.
Go to 'Menu' and open Software Manager and type in either name in the search box. Should not take but 15-20 seconds to pop up. You can install from there.
I'm up for 'simple stuff' and that appears what this is.
Old Geezer
Tango Charlie

Snaps are new to me, and it does seem like the way to go if I cant figure this out, but i dont want to give up just yet. Others have been able to install so I'd love to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Had someone else mention it was bc I don't have python 2.7. When I did this command, thats what came up so it looks like I do in fact have it?

##########:~$ ls -ls /usr/bin/python*
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 14 21:27 /usr/bin/python -> python3
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 11 12:12 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7
3552 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3637096 Nov 7 05:07 /usr/bin/python2.7
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 11 12:12 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.6
4424 -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4526456 Nov 7 05:44 /usr/bin/python3.6
4424 -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4526456 Nov 7 05:44 /usr/bin/python3.6m
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 11 12:12 /usr/bin/python3m -> python3.6m

its weird....if i type this command i can get it to work
python2 /usr/bin/cherrytree

Yeah, I don't get it. Is there some specific version of those you're looking for?

They are both in the Ubuntu repos, and Mint uses the repos. I would uninstall what you have, get rid of that PPA, then either use the Synaptic or the Mint package installer to run the install. It'll pull in any dependencies.

Snaps are new to me, and it does seem like the way to go if I cant figure this out, but i dont want to give up just yet. Others have been able to install so I'd love to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Had someone else mention it was bc I don't have python 2.7. When I did this command, thats what came up so it looks like I do in fact have it?

##########:~$ ls -ls /usr/bin/python*
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 Mar 14 21:27 /usr/bin/python -> python3
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 11 12:12 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7
3552 -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3637096 Nov 7 05:07 /usr/bin/python2.7
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 9 Mar 11 12:12 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.6
4424 -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4526456 Nov 7 05:44 /usr/bin/python3.6
4424 -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4526456 Nov 7 05:44 /usr/bin/python3.6m
0 lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 Mar 11 12:12 /usr/bin/python3m -> python3.6m
If you type
Code:
python
in a terminal, what's the output? It should be 2.7. If it says otherwise, i.e 3.x then that might be the root cause of your issue. Also, https://www.fosslinux.com/26413/ubuntu-20-04-lts-focal-fossa-set-to-remove-python-2.htm This means that cherrytree won't be supported on newer versions, or at least that's how it seems for now. Never used it being a zim user for quite some time now and find to be just perfect for my requirements.

its weird....if i type this command i can get it to work
python2 /usr/bin/cherrytree
Hmmmm..... I wonder if you have both Python 2.* and Python 3.* installed and when the Cherrytree app starts it is looking for Python 2.* but Python 3.* is set as the default? It seems that either should work - but who knows!

I installed the Cherrytree 0.37.6-1.1 from the Software Manager and it worked fine although it is a little older than the newest version available. I have Python 2.7.17 installed and it is the default.

I did notice one other "odd" anomaly. I downloaded the .deb (0.37.6-1) from the developers site and extracted the files within to snoop around a bit. I noticed that there is a dependency listed in the "control" files (python-appindicator) of the .deb which is not listed in either Synaptic Package Manager nor in apt. I have no idea if it is even relevant but I found it 'interesting'.
cherrytree_depends.png

Yeah, I don't get it. Is there some specific version of those you're looking for?

They are both in the Ubuntu repos, and Mint uses the repos. I would uninstall what you have, get rid of that PPA, then either use the Synaptic or the Mint package installer to run the install. It'll pull in any dependencies.
Sorry, should have been more specific. I was talking about cherrytree and zim. Both of those are in the Ubuntu repos in Mint. And it shouldn't matter that both versions of python are installed. So, again, get rid of the PPA and the non-working cherrytree and zim. Then install cherrytree and zim from the repos.

It says Python 3.6.9. I remember doing some sort of edit that allowed me to just type python in terminal for the newer version. Before I'd have to type python 2 or 3 or whatever it was. After that edit, I just type python and it goes right to that.

Members online