Cant get Linux on my old computer

S

specialblend

Hey guys i have a old computer (about 7 years) and whenever i try to install Ubuntu 11.10 the screen gets to the installation and just freezes. I have tried turning off the computer and letting it sit and all that with no luck. Do you think if i try to put an older version of Linux on the computer it will work maybe it is too old to handle this newest Linux?

Can you tell a little bit more about the hardware? There also some Distribution out extra for older Hardware.

so far
akendo

Try putting on an older version, it's possible your processor family isn't supported.

OP said, "Do you think if i try to put an older version of Linux on the computer it will work maybe it is too old to handle this newest Linux? "

Firstly, just install peppermint, a fabulously reworked distro, and see if it helps ( http://peppermintos.com ). Secondly, ubuntu does not define what Linux is!

I think this is just a problem with installer, not the distro itself. Try installing ubuntu server and settung up X manually!

I have met this problem sometimes with new distros. So I got round it by editing the boot parameters (usually by pressing 'e'). Then I added "noacpi noapic nolapic" to the end of the boot parameters which typically contains the words "splash". After that the installation runs. Of course, you have to add those additional parameters every time you launch the distro. One distro which I tried and didn't need the extra parameters after installation is Linux Mint 9. Give that a try.

Hi all, I am new here.

I would appreciate if any guide for me to download Linux to a thumb drive, so that I could install into another laptop that can't access internet at the moment.. any could help? Thanks.

@SuperBee welcome to Linux.org.

Thread is 9 years old.

Go to the link below and create a thread I need help installing Linux.

Please post.
Brand of computer
Desktop or laptop
Type of processor
Type of graphics
How much memory
Wired connection
Wireless connection.

Someone will be around to help.

Members online

Latest posts