Can't get past a black screen with underscore, Linux mint

whyohwhy22

Reaction score
Credits
Turned my laptop off and on again the other day as it was lagging. On startup, there was some unusual text on the screen and then it went to a black screen with a flashing underscore. I tried switching from it to the console thing, and it won't log in - if I put my username or 'root' it just flashes about a critical error underneath and asks for the credentials again

I've started in recovery mode and tried the dpkg option, and fsck and a clean. This stuff came up:
IMG_20220613_235652.jpgIMG_20220613_235752.jpg

So it looks bad. Also, the menu has something about Bluetooth written over the top when it loads.

Can anyone help?

Last edited by a moderator:

Instead of trying the dpkg option or whatnot, try booting to the previous kernel.

Well, that's not good. I was optimistic. I don't suppose you have a recent backup?

(Also, wait before doing anything too drastic - others may have ideas.)

Nothing unusual for the fsck image . You can't or shouldn't run fsck on a mounted drive ; i.e a running fsck from the same running OS .
when i was using Slackware I found i could do it by dropping run levels but the other way is to boot a live OS from say a usb and run fsck on the blocks devices to the PC that the usb is attached to.

When i've booted say Debian with persistence using ventoy from a usb, i got the blinking line on a black screen. I waited maybe 10 minutes , and the Desktop came up eventually . Did you try several minutes to see if the black screeen chnaged ?

Boot to rescue mode, connect to the internet then enter the terminal and this command
Code:
apt --fix-broken install
Post any error messages you receive here.
If that does not work you may need to boot from a live usb backup any important data and then do a new install of mint.

Members online