Can't get started

Regarding this last post of mine - this was all done with no Iinternet access. I don't know if that makes any difference.

No problem with what you've provided, Bill, but you will need an internet connection to install any of the packages from Linux Lite's Repositories, that is, what you see as available in Synaptic Package Manager.

The
"missing driver" error stating that the "/usr/lib/cups/filter/hpcups" needs to be installed

... can be performed through Synaptic. I'll show you with a screenshot what you are looking for

1oO6Unn.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - HPCUPS IN SYNAPTIC

In my LL 5.0, it is already installed, but maybe not in yours? So, from the "front page" of Synaptic, head to near top right and click Search, then type in

hpcups (you can see from the left it appears)

and you should get a page similar to mine. printer-driver-hpcups is what you are after.

Where my cursor is, click the line, it will highlight. You may also see a summary in the lower pane.

Right-click and mark for installation.

Go to icon labelled Apply and click.

Follow the prompts and popups to completion.

Once that is done, try your process with
AppSocket/HP JetDirect

again.

Let us know how you go, and if it works OK you can try the same with the Epson.

Cheers

Wiz

Wonderful news, Bill - enjoy your Linux :)

Chris

Before I go any further with Linux, I have a question - is Linux useful if it's not on the internet at all times? I don't have internet access except on my smartphone - sometimes using it as a hotspot. We pay by the GB and our 16 GB per month is shared among 3 of us.

i'm fighting with kids over internet dongle, which provides a wifi ssd to connect to; i should be flying in 10 days to Africa, not sure now announcement uk tomorrow . WE have only lts dongle because decent Internet is now 18 month contract ,so we cancelled it obviously.

But offline this is what i'm doing : working on new web , via apache which i access "locahost" so no internet needed. When some document needs producing (other chemistry/cosmetic related) i use scribus offline. I coonect to my printer with a usb , so no internet needed. Due to fighting off dongle when i need to google (static pages only) something i create a hotspot from phone and connect. Web page is loaded so i can also read that offline.

I can even download packages from slackbuilds, if i get chance to grab dongle and then build and install later offline. So is Linux useful offline - of course

Okay. I have Linux Lite 5.0. I'd like to start by adding Wine 5.0. I downloaded Wine 5.0 from softpedia.com using my phone and copied it to Linux and extracted it to it's own folder. Now I have no idea what to do next or if I need internet access to do it. How can I get help with this from someone who will assume I know nothing about Linux? I was a Windows 7 user. Thanks for your help.

What do you intend to do with Wine?

In my opinion, unless you have a Windows application that will end world hunger, there is no need to run anything under a Windows environment emulator.

Now that you have Linux Lite installed, you have a world of Linux available to you, including offline applications for home "office"/management use, offline gaming, and may other things that you can do without killing your phone or your 16GB cap.

But you still need to ask the basic engineering question - what do I need to accomplish?

You could be right about that since I've never seen a list of Linux applications. My needs are pretty simple. I'll use much of what comes with LL. In Windows 7, I used to update my Garmin GPS unit occasionally. I've also used Audacity once in a while. And a greeting card program. I'm also into astronomy and have used Cart du Ciel. What's the best way to get these software packages onto my laptop? Is the procedure documented someplace? Thx

G'day @Billtour - make alternativeto.net your friend.

BTW that is Carte du Ciel.

Google

alternative to carte du ciel

and look at the ones that say Linux

and so on.

Cheers

Wiz

Carte du diel
Assuming your pc is 64 bit, the download you want is Linux Deb 64bit
Click to download it.....it will choose to open/download, using gdebi installer....just let it do its thing.
You should find carte du diel in the list of apps/programs on your pc menu

Also on that download page it says "On Linux you must also install the required package libpasastro "

Be sure to do that as well......it must be a dependency for that app

You could be right about that since I've never seen a list of Linux applications. My needs are pretty simple. I'll use much of what comes with LL. In Windows 7, I used to update my Garmin GPS unit occasionally. I've also used Audacity once in a while. And a greeting card program. I'm also into astronomy and have used Cart du Ciel. What's the best way to get these software packages onto my laptop? Is the procedure documented someplace? Thx
before i got my wife & kids Windows laptop; we had no Windows PC's. I have a TomTom car GPS device. I downloaded the .exe file to update using Wine. I almost got it working with Linux, i think where i failed was a pop up Window which should have come up but didn't because I had popups blocked on linux. I presumed that , since we got the Windows laptops so i just switched to update using that and never persevered with the linux update. I did notice that with Windows a popup did come up and it was at the point where i got stuck with Linux. Not sure how it works with garmin

Okay, Condobloke. Where do I go to download "Linux Deb 64bit" and "libpasastro"?

Condobloke: I just realized what your post is telling me - to download a different Linux distro. Does that mean that Carte du Ciel won't run on the Linux Lite that I have?

Bill, look ate the screenshot below....
Screenshot from 2020-11-06 14-41-20.png

.....the line that says Linux Deb 64 bit is a file which will download and install carte du ciel on your pc

Click on it once......and it will go to a page that looks like.....
Screenshot from 2020-11-06 14-49-12.png

(it may take a minute to load)...be patient)
Then click on OK, to Open with GDebi Package Installer(default)

it will take a short time to organise itself...again be patient....it will actually be downloading the carte du ciel file.....(depending on your connection speed it could take anywhere from 1 minute to 10 minutes)

When it has downloaded fully,

My apologies, my Internet connection is being worked on by a technician....I will be unable to complete this post for a few hours.

I can pick up the ball and run with it a bit, Brian :)

Bill, I'll jump over to my Linux Lite when I finish upgrades on this Manjaro, and pick up from there.

But basically, two of the most popular package types are .deb and .rpm.

It does not mean you have to install Debian over your Linux Lite.

They are package management file types, self-extracting (not unlike Windows .cab, .msi, .exe etcetera)

Debian begat Ubuntu, which then led to Linux Mint. Linux Lite is in that category.

.rpm means Redhat Package Management, where Redhat begat Fedora, centOS and others.

So you can download a .deb file from the internet (with certain cautions) and then use either the command line (with the command dpkg) or a small GUI (desktop style point and click) feature called GDebi, to set up the application or utility/software.

You can see GDebi referred to in Brian's screenshot.

I won't bamboozle you more than that for now, and you are likely catching zzz's if you are US-based.

Wizard

Okay. I now have a folder called "Carte du Ciel" in a folder called "Programs". In it are a folder called "Skychart-4.2.1-4073-src" and a file called "Skychart-4.2.1-4073_amd64". If I double click the ...amd64 file, I get a package installer window which is all blank. If I should do something in the folder, I don't know what that would be. I am not on the internet while doing this. The downloads were done on my phone and copied to Linux.

OK, the one that says

Skychart-4.2.1-4073_amd64

... does that end in .deb ?

If Yes, then open your File Manager, Thunar (may already be open) and right-click that file. At the top of the context-sensitive menu revealed, at the top is likely something like "Open with GDebi Package Installer".

Click that. GDebi will open and offer for you to install. Do so.

If it ends saying it's installed, you can then close down, go to your Menu, and find Skychart somewhere.

If not, open the menu and start to type in Skychart and see what is revealed.

Let us know how you go.

Wizard

It does end in .deb, but when I right-click and choose Open with "GDebi Package Installer" i get the empty Package Installer window.