Can't get Virtualbox running

ToadmanX4

Reaction score
Credits
I'm on Linux Mint 20 and I'm trying to get a Windows 10 machine running, but to no avail. Every time I try running it, I get this message every time.

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT."

I get that I need to do things within the kernel, but I'm a little lost on how to actually apply these messages.

I get that I need to do things within the kernel, but I'm a little lost on how to actually apply these messages.
Try this https://ostechnix.com/how-to-fix-kernel-driver-not-installed-rc-1908-virtualbox-error-in-ubuntu/
You can also try installing a new kernel and its headers
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-image-<some_version_here> linux-headers-<some_vesion_here>
once installed do
Code:
sudo /sbin/vboxconfig
I don't know if the method above described in the link works but I do know the one I suggest does.

Hope this helps! :)

EDIT: You have to reboot the system after installing the new kernel and the run
Code:
sudo /sbin/vboxconfig

Last edited:
So I ran sudo /sbin/vboxconfig and got this

vboxdrv.sh: Stopping VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: Starting VirtualBox services.
vboxdrv.sh: You must sign these kernel modules before using VirtualBox:
vboxdrv vboxnetflt vboxnetadp
See the documenatation for your Linux distribution..
vboxdrv.sh: Building VirtualBox kernel modules.
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
vboxdrv.sh: Failed to enroll secure boot key..
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root. If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

All I can tell is that it's telling me to run the same command again, which would throw me into a loop of getting the same message. Is this where I restart my system and then try again?

All I can tell is that it's telling me to run the same command again, which would throw me into a loop of getting the same message. Is this where I restart my system and then try again?
Yes, you should probably try that.

I'm on Linux Mint 20 and I'm trying to get a Windows 10 machine running, but to no avail. Every time I try running it, I get this message every time.

"Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver is either not loaded or not set up correctly. Please try setting it up again by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

If your system has EFI Secure Boot enabled you may also need to sign the kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT."

I don't know if you managed to solve it or not but I managed to fix it by (re)installing the Linux Headers. Simply running sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r) might not work so follow the steps in here:

After you're done upgrading go on and install VirtualBox like so:

This did the trick for me! Best of luck!

Last edited:

Members online