Can't Get VirtualBox Working On Linux Mint

ToadmanX4

Reaction score
Credits
20200914_114223.jpg

I've tried a lot of things to fix this, and I feel like that the best thing to do is to post the error information as it is. I have Linux Mint 20 (Cinnamon) and am trying to use a Windows 10 VM.

Which version of VirtualBox?
I had the 5 series installed and working fine on Linux Mint 19.3. When I tried to install/upgrade to the VirtualBox 6 series it would not install and presented errors.

virtualbox-5.2_5.2.44-139111~Ubuntu~bionic_amd64.deb - installed and working fine with Linux kernel 4.15.0-1**-generic and Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon.

virtualbox-6.1_6.1.14-140239~Ubuntu~bionic_amd64.deb - no-go, errors installing, fail

So if I have Linux Mint 20, which host do I download? I know Mint is a variation of Ubuntu, so do I just download the latest Ubuntu build?

1.png

So it's not letting me uninstall VirtualBox for whatever reason...

installArchives() failed: debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
(Reading database ...
(Reading database ... 5%%
(Reading database ... 10%%
(Reading database ... 15%%
(Reading database ... 20%%
(Reading database ... 25%%
(Reading database ... 30%%
(Reading database ... 35%%
(Reading database ... 40%%
(Reading database ... 45%%
(Reading database ... 50%%
(Reading database ... 55%%
(Reading database ... 60%%
(Reading database ... 65%%
(Reading database ... 70%%
(Reading database ... 75%%
(Reading database ... 80%%
(Reading database ... 85%%
(Reading database ... 90%%
(Reading database ... 95%%
(Reading database ... 100%%
(Reading database ... 373596 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing virtualbox-6.1 (6.1.12-139181~Ubuntu~eoan) ...
debconf: DbDriver "config": /var/cache/debconf/config.dat is locked by another process: Resource temporarily unavailable
dpkg: error processing package virtualbox-6.1 (--remove):
installed virtualbox-6.1 package pre-removal script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: too many errors, stopping
vboxdrv.sh: failed: modprobe vboxdrv failed. Please use 'dmesg' to find out why.

There were problems setting up VirtualBox. To re-start the set-up process, run
/sbin/vboxconfig
as root. If your system is using EFI Secure Boot you may need to sign the
kernel modules (vboxdrv, vboxnetflt, vboxnetadp, vboxpci) before you can load
them. Please see your Linux system's documentation for more information.
Errors were encountered while processing:
virtualbox-6.1
Processing was halted because there were too many errors.
Setting up man-db (2.9.1-1) ...
dpkg: error processing package man-db (--configure):
installed man-db package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Setting up gconf2-common (3.2.6-6ubuntu1) ...
dpkg: error processing package gconf2-common (--configure):
installed gconf2-common package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gconf-service-backend:
gconf-service-backend depends on gconf2-common (= 3.2.6-6ubuntu1); however:
Package gconf2-common is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package gconf-service-backend (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up phonon4qt5:amd64 (4:4.11.1-3build1) ...
dpkg: error processing package phonon4qt5:amd64 (--configure):
installed phonon4qt5:amd64 package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libkf5notifyconfig5:amd64:
libkf5notifyconfig5:amd64 depends on phonon4qt5; however:
Package phonon4qt5:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package libkf5notifyconfig5:amd64 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gconf-service:
gconf-service depends on gconf-service-backend (= 3.2.6-6ubuntu1); however:
Package gconf-service-backend is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package gconf-service (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of kdenlive:
kdenlive depends on libkf5notifyconfig5 (>= 4.96.0); however:
Package libkf5notifyconfig5:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package kdenlive (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libgconf-2-4:amd64:
libgconf-2-4:amd64 depends on gconf2-common (= 3.2.6-6ubuntu1); however:
Package gconf2-common is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package libgconf-2-4:amd64 (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of discord:
discord depends on libgconf-2-4; however:
Package libgconf-2-4:amd64 is not configured yet.

dpkg: error processing package discord (--configure):

I think you need an authentication key for Virtualbox, to fix this error, but I don't know how to get the correct key.

I think you need an authentication key for Virtualbox, to fix this error, but I don't know how to get the correct key.
I think you didn't notice this thread is almost a year old, and the OP seems to have solved it or just abandoned, either way, it isn't an active thread, so next time, before replying, check the date to avoid necrobumping old threads. :)

I think you didn't notice this thread is almost a year old, and the OP seems to have solved it or just abandoned, either way, it isn't an active thread, so next time, before replying, check the date to avoid necrobumping old threads. :)
Well I haven't solved the problem so far, so could you maybe help me? I still don't know how to get Virtual Machines running on my Laptop (rc 1908). I've read that in MacOS this error occurs because the Oracle software isn't signed and I think from what I've read on this topic about secure boot, signing the software could fix the issue in Linux Mint 18, but I have no idea how to do that.
I don't think necrobumping this thread is really that much of a problem if people are still having issues with it, since so far I have not actually found a forum thread anywhere, that was able to fix this problem for me. So far I've progressed from rc 1912 (wich is basically the same problem but worse) to rc 1908.

Well I haven't solved the problem so far, so could you maybe help me?
Ah, I didn't notice you were asking for help, thought you were just replying. However, starting a new thread on your issue might be better. Also, I just did a quick search for "rc 1908" cause I didn't know what that is, amongst the many results, some suggest to:
1. Launch a terminal and type this
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
Press Enter, type in your password when asked, press Enter again and wait for the process to be finished.
2. In the terminal type
Code:
sudo apt-get install dkms
Press Enter, type in your password when asked, press Enter again and wait for the process to be finished.
3. In the terminal type
Code:
sudo /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup

Ah, I didn't notice you were asking for help, thought you were just replying. However, starting a new thread on your issue might be better. Also, I just did a quick search for "rc 1908" cause I didn't know what that is, amongst the many results, some suggest to:
1. Launch a terminal and type this
Code:
sudo apt-get install linux-headers-$(uname -r)
2. In the terminal type
Code:
sudo apt-get install dkms
3. In the terminal type
Code:
sudo /usr/lib/virtualbox/vboxdrv.sh setup
Thanks for the help, however it did not work. I'm opening another thread.

Members online