cant install grub ubuntu 18.04

mark1997

Reaction score
Credits
i am trying to install ubuntu as the only os using flash drive.
the installation complete without errors. but in the bios i can only choose windows boot manager.
it isnt installing a grub boot manager. I looked a lot online didn't find any solution.
i have lenove p52s using uefi mode.

When you installed did you tell the installer where to install Grub? I think it should have asked or at least presented the option.

Are sure that is a "Windows" boot manager? Or is it the computers BIOS boot manager? It seems odd that any Windows 'cruft' would still be around if you told the Ubuntu installer to use the whole disk.

You may want to boot and start the computer using the flash drive (it should have a 'Live' Ubuntu OS image on it) and after the Ubuntu finishes loading start the GParted application from the applications menu. Then you could take a look and see just what you have for partitions.

UEFI has a little "boot table" section. It "remembers" the OS's installed on your computer.
Usually there is an option to delete these (sometimes even add new ones).
But almost always you can over-ride this. The boot table doesn't usually "remember" any
new OS's that haven't been booted into yet, because it doesn't know about them yet.
You should be able to delete the "old" OS entries.

this is my gparted.
I have fat 32 but in strange way when i open the bios my only option is the whindows boot manager.
When you installed did you tell the installer where to install Grub? I think it should have asked or at least presented the option.

Are sure that is a "Windows" boot manager? Or is it the computers BIOS boot manager? It seems odd that any Windows 'cruft' would still be around if you told the Ubuntu installer to use the whole disk.

You may want to boot and start the computer using the flash drive (it should have a 'Live' Ubuntu OS image on it) and after the Ubuntu finishes loading start the GParted application from the applications menu. Then you could take a look and see just what you have for partitions.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-04-12 14-02-08.png
    Screenshot from 2020-04-12 14-02-08.png
    530.8 KB · Views: 253
UEFI has a little "boot table" section. It "remembers" the OS's installed on your computer.
Usually there is an option to delete these (sometimes even add new ones).
But almost always you can over-ride this. The boot table doesn't usually "remember" any
new OS's that haven't been booted into yet, because it doesn't know about them yet.
You should be able to delete the "old" OS entries.
how can I delete the os's form the table ?
and eventhough i should get an option of the grub boot manager in the bios ?

It looks good according to your picture.

Every UEFI computer (almost all computers newer than 7 years old) will make a /boot/efi
partition on your hard drive. This is where you boot table lives. This is usually formatted
as a MS Windows type of partition (usually winnt or fat32)

Mine looks like this...
/boot/efi vfat umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2

Now, the ext4 partition is where your Linux lives. It seems good to me.

how can I delete the os's form the table ?
and eventhough i should get an option of the grub boot manager in the bios ?

grub and UEFI/BIOS are really two different things that don't have much to with each other directly.

grub looks like this, usually a text file.

20200412_072208.jpg

UEFI usually looks something like this, usually a GUI you need a mouse to use.

20200412_072251.jpg

Usually there is an option under UEFI to add or delete an OS to boot to.

20200412_072322.jpg

It looks good according to your picture.

Every UEFI computer (almost all computers newer than 7 years old) will make a /boot/efi
partition on your hard drive. This is where you boot table lives. This is usually formatted
as a MS Windows type of partition (usually winnt or fat32)

Mine looks like this...
/boot/efi vfat umask=0077,shortname=winnt 0 2

Now, the ext4 partition is where your Linux lives. It seems good to me.
i have the grub as you can see in the file. but the problem i cant run it from the bios.
Any idea why and how can i run it ?

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2020-04-12 14-46-35.png
    Screenshot from 2020-04-12 14-46-35.png
    692.5 KB · Views: 267
Are you booted from the USB drive, or from the hard drive?

Let's forget about grub and UEFI for a minute. From your last picture, it seems you are
trying to install to a hard drive. Just click "continue".

If you are running apt from the USB drive, it probably won't work. Usually the "live"
USB is special compressed OS that doesn't run off of the disk. Also the computer is smart
enough to know you booted from a USB drive and sometimes puts it in "read-only" mode.

the installation complete without errors.
From the screenshots you have posted it looks like you have not actually installed it yet.
Either that or you are posting screen shots of running from the live usb.

Have you actually performed all the requisite steps in the installer?

Members online

Latest posts