Can't install OS on new build.

M

mvinsc

So I got a bare bones kit for something to do. It came with a Biostar AMD AM3 MATX mobo, AMD AthlonII x 3, 8GB DDR3, 1TB HD, MSI Radeon HD 5450 1GB DDR3 PCIe w/HDMI, and fans, case etc. Slapping everything together was fun, but when it came time to install my OS my problem started. I made a trusty. LIVEcd Ubuntu 10.12. I get to the boot options and aniything other than the mem test hangs up. I tried the alt install. Mint 14. Net install. they all get the boot options and end with a black screen with a cursor or MSI quirk. I've edited the boot options with nomode and noacpi or whatever. (Kinda ill. posting this on my phone.) Anyways, I have this new pc I just built and can't do anything with it. Oh yeah. I use the HDMI to my tv. I removed the video card and. used the onboard VGA. same thing. Maybe something in the BIOS? Any ideas or help would be great. Thanks and GB.

You could try some kernel boot otions like nohz=off or acpi=off (or both). You could also try the Ubuntu forums.

I think you should update your bios... and then try again..

Its Ok dale...Barebones also works fine.... try to reattach them and upgrade your bios and then try again..

I don't think updating BIOS is anything a noob shoulod be trying. It's one thing to not be able to boot an OS and quite another not being able to use the PC at all if you mess up flashing a new BIOS...
Of all the years and PCs I've installed Linux never have I had to update the BIOS to get it to boot.

Members online