Can't install Wine

• Thread starter Deleted member 140508
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 140508

Hello,
I have been following the steps to install Wine using Ubuntu. I followed all the steps on the Wine website, but when I got to the last step, I got this error. How do I fix this?
Screenshot from 2022-06-14 18-30-22.png

This will work on ubuntu 22.04
I prefer to install playonlinux you can install any version of wine with it and it's a nice gui frontend for wine.
If you choose it you still need to enable the i386 repositories to get 32 bit compatibility.
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then do a an update
Code:
sudo apt update
What ever you choose remember not all windows programs run well under wine.
good luck.

This will work on ubuntu 22.04

I prefer to install playonlinux you can install any version of wine with it and it's a nice gui frontend for wine.
If you choose it you still need to enable the i386 repositories to get 32 bit compatibility.
Code:
sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
Then do a an update
Code:
sudo apt update
What ever you choose remember not all windows programs run well under wine.
good luck.
I followed the steps here, but got this when running sudo apt update.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-06-14 20-23-36.png
    Screenshot from 2022-06-14 20-23-36.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 293
Did you try editing repositories?

Code:
nano /etc/apt/sources.list

Similar thread has been opened two weeks ago on Ubuntu forum, you might want to check that out too.

A few years ago installing Wine from WineHQ was easy but now it just doesn't work.
sad0116.gif

There are several ways to install wine...Synaptic Package Manager...Software Manager or the easy way is to open a Terminal.
Code:
sudo apt install winehq-staging

To see what version is installed...
Code:
wine --version

Sometimes you need to right click the win program choose...Open with...Other Application...then if it doesn't show in the list...type wine in box...then...Add to List or Set as Default.

A lot of software doesn't run with wine, it's a hit and miss affair that's why I have a windwoes 7 VM.
happy0034.gif

I also only run the version available in the software manage, as it will have been tested to work with your distribution,

I will say that as time has gone on wineHQ version do not play well with Ubuntu or Mint. It presents problems that can be very confusing. That's why I recommend Playonlinux as you get to use the repository wine from your system or you can download any wine version from the playonlinux repository through their tool menu and it plays well. This can be an important tool for some windows programs run well with older or new versions of wine. see play on linux here.
Of course the other route would be to set up a virtual machine and run a version of windows inside that.
playonlinux is available via the ubuntu software repositories.
Code:
sudo apt install playonlinux
Good luck with which ever way you choose to go. But I would not beat my head against the wall trying to install wineHQ's version of wine.

A few years ago installing Wine from WineHQ was easy but now it just doesn't work.
sad0116.gif

There are several ways to install wine...Synaptic Package Manager...Software Manager or the easy way is to open a Terminal.
Code:
sudo apt install winehq-staging

To see what version is installed...
Code:
wine --version

Sometimes you need to right click the win program choose...Open with...Other Application...then if it doesn't show in the list...type wine in box...then...Add to List or Set as Default.

A lot of software doesn't run with wine, it's a hit and miss affair that's why I have a windwoes 7 VM.
happy0034.gif
This doesn't work. Please see screenshot of my terminal below.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-06-15 06-36-22.png
    Screenshot from 2022-06-15 06-36-22.png
    82.6 KB · Views: 199
I have this at the top right of my screen.

Attachments

• Screenshot from 2022-06-15 06-41-44.png
    Screenshot from 2022-06-15 06-41-44.png
    37.4 KB · Views: 193
I will say that as time has gone on wineHQ version do not play well with Ubuntu or Mint. It presents problems that can be very confusing. That's why I recommend Playonlinux as you get to use the repository wine from your system or you can download any wine version from the playonlinux repository through their tool menu and it plays well. This can be an important tool for some windows programs run well with older or new versions of wine. see play on linux here.
Of course the other route would be to set up a virtual machine and run a version of windows inside that.
playonlinux is available via the ubuntu software repositories.
Code:
sudo apt install playonlinux
Good luck with which ever way you choose to go. But I would not beat my head against the wall trying to install wineHQ's version of wine.
I can't even install Playonlinux. I get the same error when running sudo apt update.

If it were me I would go into the apt sources list and remove any reference to wineHQ and start over.
go to software sources and disable all winehq repositories.

Last edited:
I went into /etc/apt/sources.list, but couldn't find any references to WineHQ. Software and Updates won't open.

I went into /etc/apt/sources.list, but couldn't find any references to WineHQ. Software and Updates won't open.
can you post the out put of this command here?
Code:
inxi -r
you may have to install inxi in ubuntu first
If you can not run inxi then issue this command in the terminal and list the results
Code:
sudo grep -rhE ^deb /etc/apt/sources.list*

You may also want to try and run this command in a terminal.
Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Members online