I'm trying to install the xmonad window manager, and I get the following

Code:
[syn@syn etc]$ sudo pacman -S xmonad
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Packages (1): xmonad-0.11-8

Total Installed Size:  6.52 MiB

:: Proceed with installation? [Y/n] y
(1/1) checking keys in keyring                                                                                                                [########################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                              [########################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                    [########################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                              [########################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                                            [########################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) installing xmonad                                                                                                                        [########################################################################################] 100%
Reading package info from stdin ... done.
xmonad-0.11: Warning: haddock-interfaces: /usr/share/doc/x86_64-linux-ghc-7.8.2/xmonad-0.11/html/xmonad.haddock doesn't exist or isn't a file
xmonad-0.11: Warning: haddock-html: /usr/share/doc/x86_64-linux-ghc-7.8.2/xmonad-0.11/html doesn't exist or isn't a directory
xmonad now has dynamic configuration via ~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
See http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive for examples
Optional dependencies for xmonad
    xorg-xmessage: for displaying visual error messages [installed]

Appears to be a problem with haskell, so I added an unofficial repo, ArchHaskell.
When I add:
Code:
[haskell-core]
Server = http://xsounds.org/~haskell/core/$arch [
haskell-happstack]
Server = ftp://noaxiom.org/$repo/$arch
and run sudo pacman -S xmonad,

I get:

Code:
[syn@syn etc]$ sudo pacman -S xmonad
error: haskell-core: key "90513750A418C0FE" is unknown
:: Import PGP key 2048D/, "ArchHaskell (Magnus Therning) <[email protected]>", created: 2012-12-26? [Y/n] y
error: key "ArchHaskell (Magnus Therning) <[email protected]>" could not be imported
warning: database file for 'haskell-happstack' does not exist
error: database 'haskell-core' is not valid (invalid or corrupted database (PGP signature))

Please help!!! I want xmonad

It's been a few years since I last used Arch, so I could be wrong; but from the initial code-block you posted, it looks to me as if xmonad installed correctly (unless there is something you failed to copy/paste in there). The warnings appear to be referring to missing documentation, you can ignore those. But I'm fairly certain the xmonad package installed.

Best way to check would be to use the command:
Code:
which xmonad
If it did install, that will yield the path to the xmonad executable!
If that shows nothing, or gives an error message, then I am wrong and I am sorry for wasting your time. Read no further!

But I am quite confident that you will find xmonad, so READ ON! XD

If the repo you added is causing problems for you, then remove it.

From looking at the Xmonad page on the Arch Wiki:
( EDIT: This is only my second post here, so I cannot actually post a direct link to the page yet. The system won't let me! BOO! )

I'd guess that you just need to do something to start xmonad after logging in. But how you do this would depend on how your machine is set up and which login manager (if any) you are using.

So if you have a command-line login, you just need to start xmonad in your post-login startup script instead of starting your usual desktop. If you are using a GUI login manager, you will need to create a .desktop file for an xmonad session e.g. xmonad.desktop. After you have added the desktop file, you should be able to log out and go back to the login screen and select/log-into an xmonad session - All of the relevant info for creating/starting an xmonad session is on the Xmonad page on the Arch Wiki!

Members online

Latest posts