can't login into ubuntu desktop after update (which it asked me if i want to updated

andrewysk

Reaction score
Credits
hii,

i am using ubuntu18.04lts. there was a pop up window asking me to update, because update is available. but sadly after update, i totally can't logon into desktop. it just keep looping at greeter screen; asking me to enter password when i already have .. it just keeps repeating the same loop..

andrew

hii,

i am using ubuntu18.04lts. there was a pop up window asking me to update, because update is available. but sadly after update, i totally can't logon into desktop. it just keep looping at greeter screen; asking me to enter password when i already have .. it just keeps repeating the same loop..

andrew
You have my sympathy. I had exactly this problem with Linux Mint which of course is based on Ubuntu. I did manage to fix it and if I can find exactly how I did it I'll let you know.

Meantime this might help:

thats what i call the "click click syndrome and hope for the best" . I've been there as well so can feel the pain. Even with slackware there can be traps in one config i noted it said ; the following is not commentated but should be ; if you agree with us un comment it. Obviously a lot of talented lead dev's are barking mad or have no common sense. What it has done to me is that i don't like doing anything unless i understand what its going to do and trust nothing

in fact i can show you. This is the config file of blacklist for slackpkgas of 2020:

# Automated upgrade of kernel packages aren't a good idea (and you need to
# run "lilo" after upgrade). If you think the same, uncomment the lines
# below
#
kernel-generic
kernel-generic-smp
kernel-huge
kernel-huge-smp
kernel-modules
kernel-modules-smp

so in the ablove i commented out . So here's a question why didn't the lead dev just comment out as default ?

hii captain,

it is already 3 am here, and i am still trying to sort linux problems...
can you give me more detailed guide on this one pls.

thx
andrew
in fact i can show you. This is the config file of blacklist for slackpkgas of 2020:

# Automated upgrade of kernel packages aren't a good idea (and you need to
# run "lilo" after upgrade). If you think the same, uncomment the lines
# below
#
kernel-generic
kernel-generic-smp
kernel-huge
kernel-huge-smp
kernel-modules
kernel-modules-smp

so in the ablove i commented out . So here's a question why didn't the lead dev just comment out as default ?

Last edited:
Try this. At login screen press CTRL F3
login
Type sudo apt install lightdm
During install select lightdm when asked which login manager.

Report back.

Latest posts