can't see copied files to USB

N

Nour

Hi,
I have copied some files from my linux desktop UBUNTU to my USB flash memory, the copy apparently succeeded but when I remove the USB from Linux and plug it on Windows 7, I can't see the files that I have copied, I have tried several times with no success, I would appreciate your help.:(
Regards.

Don't use windows, so could only speculate that you formatted the usb key to something windows can't see. ??? (or it is a file/folder starting with a period that is hidden?)
Bump.

Make sure that the USB Stick is formatted to Win32

I also use mostly linux but I just wanted to plot some data from linux with a windows software, the data dispapears when I switch to windows.
Thanks.

Just to make sure there is nothing wrong with the data file itself: does it read properly if you transferred through something on-line (and so without having to worry about what might happen with different file systems)?

so its a FAT32/FAT format correct? are you "safely" removing the usb, waiting for transfer to stop then unmounting it then ejecting. The problem with such rediculously old file formats is that the do poorly on hot swap devices such as usbs.

so its a FAT32/FAT format correct? are you "safely" removing the usb, waiting for transfer to stop then unmounting it then ejecting. The problem with such rediculously old file formats is that the do poorly on hot swap devices such as usbs.

Yes it is a FAT32 format and unfortunately I am not removing the USB safely, but is that the reason?, many thanks.

Yep that is it, if you have something formatted ext3 or 4 it is usually ok to just pull it out but FAT32 can't do it. When I was setting up a mini system for a friend that booted off a FAT32 SD card I had to safe remove otherwise it wouldn't work. hope this solved your problem.

Yep that is it, if you have something formatted ext3 or 4 it is usually ok to just pull it out but FAT32 can't do it. When I was setting up a mini system for a friend that booted off a FAT32 SD card I had to safe remove otherwise it wouldn't work. hope this solved your problem.
Yes my problem is solved thanks to you, thank you very very much.
Cheers.
Nour.

Staff online