f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: Rob

We can't really blame this on Cent... at least not all of it.

I don't mind the streams within RHEL8 which CentOS8 has too now, they are going from CentOS being a binary clone of RHEL to CenOS being rolling release and beta upstream for RHEL. Which means CentOS won't be a binary clone of RHEL anymore, I blame IBM/Redhat.

Yeah, not happy about this at all. I've been a CentOS fan for a looooong time because it was tested and stable. Sure not putting CentOS Stream into anything used for production!
I hope linux.org doesn't run on centos, the only alternative RHEL clone I found was Springdale Linux since RHEL and Oracle Linux aren't an option. I also could have a look at FreeBSD but from what I've seen from BSD is that it has a learning curve because it's a whole different system.

I don't really trust a project that's just getting started, so I'll probably be looking at Springdale since they've been around since before CentOS.

A friend of mine works as a Linux Administrator in a hospital running CentOS 8 and he's pretty ticked right now. The link he sent me is below.

I wasn't happy when I read this either:

If you wanted to you could go with Scientific Linux aside from Rocky Linux.
Maybe run Suse too:-

Looks to me like the change is all about money, power and control:-

A friend of mine works as a Linux Administrator in a hospital running CentOS 8 and he's pretty ticked right now. The link he sent me is below.
A hospital should be running RHEL not CentOS, just so they can call support just in case.

I'm testing if I can get one of my setups working under Debian with selinux on, I will be waiting the coming months for what happens with Rocky Linux and I may consider RHEL as well if they come up with something good as listed in their FAQ.

I'm testing if I can get one of my setups working under Debian with selinux on, I will be waiting the coming months for what happens with Rocky Linux and I may consider RHEL as well if they come up with something good as listed in their FAQ.
Isn't a subscription with RH really expensive?

I am still watching this with interest.

I have multiple VPSes and one dedi that all run CentOS. I am not sure what my plans are. I did not see this coming. I probably should have seen this coming when IBM bought RH.

[redacted obscenity]!!!

It's going to be a pain in the butt. I need the long support 'cause I'm [redacted] lazy.

I am still watching this with interest.

I have multiple VPSes and one dedi that all run CentOS. I am not sure what my plans are. I did not see this coming. I probably should have seen this coming when IBM bought RH.

[redacted obscenity]!!!

It's going to be a pain in the butt. I need the long support 'cause I'm [redacted] lazy.
I just migrated my homeserver and my VPSes to C8 this last summer so I was quite bummed out about it, I did expect something like this to happen but not so soon. It's going to be either Springdale Linux or or the free/cheap RHEL option for me, but on the other hand why continue with a RHEL/clone if they could at anytime pull another stunt like that so I might go with Debian(I already tested it with selinux) just to be safe since they've been around a long time. I also do did play around a bit with FreeBSD in a vm and it seems like a really cool and good system, but I've already spent so much time with GNU/Linux I might as well stick to it instead of having to spend hours and hours to learn something new while at may day job I still work with GNU/Linux.

Last edited:
I also do did play around a bit with FreeBSD in a vm and it seems like a really cool and good system
I'm just a simple desktop user, but I am also trying to pursue FreeBSD as an alternative to Linux, and maybe as a future daily driver. My reason is similar to everyone's responses to the IBM/Redhat domination effect on CentOS. It's been 4 years now since Microsoft "fell in love with Linux" and became a Platinum Member of the Linux Foundation. Their new friendliness (open sourcing some of their tools and apps, and bringing WSL into their OS) has been welcomed by many, but it worries me. Microsoft money and influence on the future of Linux is just not what I envision as healthy. If Microsoft influences the kernel, they influence each and every Linux OS. "Influence" is such a nicer term than "dominate." :eek:;)

Yes, FreeBSD has a learning curve, and I'm still struggling with it at times. But I thought FreeBSD was easier to install than Arch. FreeBSD has a very comprehensive Handbook and a no-nonsense forum. Many of the BSD tools and commands are the same as Linux, but there are differences, like sha256 instead of sha256sum, for example. The pkg tool has worked fine to update the system and install new software for my simple needs. And, of course, FreeBSD provides their own kernel.

I'm not trying to "sell you" on FreeBSD, just offering some thoughts that seem related to the topic. For you sysadmins, FreeBSD may be much more difficult than my own experiment, especially for hardware support. I am old enough that maybe none of this will really matter to me... my "long-term" may be more about a nursing home instead of /home. :)

I actually converted my homeserver from CentOS8 to Springdale Linux 8 today it was quite easy, forgot how easy switching between rhel clones is so I have a new appreciation for RHEL clones because this saves me a lot of time from having to reinstall from scratch(whether it be RHEL clone or Debian), I actually knew it was possible but never thought of trying it this time although I have done it before in the past with Scientific Linux. It was fun trying out FreeBSD but I'll just stick to what I know and already have invested a lot of time in, if I get bored I may try FreeBSD again :)

Rocky Linux is getting looks from supporters, at least some of whom have cash available for Greg Kurtzer to start a replacement.

Their Slack is pretty interesting.

Members online