CentOS

K

Kovax

So far I haven't seen this one mentioned. I use this one all the time. It has been my go between of Fedora and RHEL.

Yep it is pretty good used when I used Redhat based stuff.

Hope your enjoying your time with this community

The CentOS is nearly the same as RedHat. Fedora is the desktop version of RedHat.

I ran CentOS for the weekend just last weekend. Seemed pretty solid and good security from my glance. Not as configurable for my home needs, that is, after playing with everything else out there.

Red Hat is a commercial distribution. They provide customers with a stable system and paid support staff. Fedora is Red Hat's testing system. New applications are first added to Fedora. After the bugs are identified and ironed out, the applications are added to Red Hat. CentOS is a free clone of Red Hat.

Red Hat is a commercial distribution. They provide customers with a stable system and paid support staff. Fedora is Red Hat's testing system. New applications are first added to Fedora. After the bugs are identified and ironed out, the applications are added to Red Hat. CentOS is a free clone of Red Hat.

Your answer is far better than mine. Good job!

I ran CentOS for the weekend just last weekend. Seemed pretty solid and good security from my glance. Not as configurable for my home needs, that is, after playing with everything else out there.
I played with it for a couple weeks about half a year ago. I found it to be a very system.
And every system is configurable, if one knows how to do it. It is just different systems require different levels of knowledge.

I use it more for my server needs. I run OS X for my home/Desktop needs. Plus most shops in town run RHEL.

I use it more for my server needs. I run OS X for my home/Desktop needs. Plus most shops in town run RHEL.

You ever look into http://elementaryos.org/ ? It looks and feels like OS X apparently. Unfortunately I haven't tried it yet. Maybe I'll run it live..... although I just settled down with Debian, damn.

elementaryOS is really good I used it as my main distro...xD

I installed CentOS last week and so far I love. I am learning sysadmin so CentOS is a great distro. elementaryOS looks pretty nice.

I work with RHEL at work, run CentOS on my home server, and Fedora on my laptop :) RPMs for life.

Still like Arch though.

But yes CentOS is awesome for a server. I wouldn't recommend it for a home desktop as generally the repo packages are older versions and updates are few and far between. This is a good thing for stability reasons and on 24/7 or high-availability servers, but I'd rather have the latest versions on a Desktop (for example trying to compile awesome 3.5.5 WM on CentOS was a nightmare. All its dependencies required more recent versions than are available in CentOS repos, which means compiling from source :p )

Members online