Solved ch340 driver on linux mint

Solved issue

vdzr

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone recently i stumbled across a problem:
when i was trying to use an arduino clone i saw that i did not have a ch340 driver (im on linux mint) as nothing showed in the arduino ide
i tried to find some tutorials on the internet but they didn't work

(if more info is needed please tell me)

i tried it, everything worked until

"sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0"
(tired it with usb1 usb2 and so on then also tried with ACM0)

and everytime it said
Cannot access no such file or directory
(the arduino is pluged in and i know it works as its working with another computer)

also the arduino ide works woth an arduino uno that i have

i tried it, everything worked until

"sudo chmod a+rw /dev/ttyUSB0"
(tired it with usb1 usb2 and so on then also tried with ACM0)

and everytime it said
Cannot access no such file or directory
(the arduino is pluged in and i know it works as its working with another computer)

also the arduino ide works woth an arduino uno that i have
Is the arduino software installed to your HDD that your Mint is installed on OR> is it running Live on a USB thumb or pendrive?

What is the output of this:

Code:
sudo fdisk -l

Code:
ls /dev/ttyUSB*

Last edited:

Arduino IDE​

Alternatively, if you have the Arduino IDE installed, you should also see a change in the number of available COM Ports (you may need to restart the Arduino IDE for the board to populate). Without the CH340 connected to your computer, click on Tools > Port. Depending on the Linux flavor that you have, the Ports may not open to display any serial ports. Take note of the Serial Ports available if it opens up.

The current version of Arduino IDE is 1.8.19 so ensure you have that.

In the main menu under Tools> Port> does the /dev/tty/USBo show?

My linux is installled on a ssd (my only drive) it is not even detecting that a ch340 device was plugged in,
i tried it on another computer there it worked so i knowit'snot the device broken

My linux is installled on a ssd (my only drive) it is not even detecting that a ch340 device was plugged in,
i tried it on another computer there it worked so i knowit'snot the device broken
What version of Linux Mint are you running?

Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon
version 5.4.12
core 5.15.0-71-generic

Linux Mint 21 Cinnamon
version 5.4.12
core 5.15.0-71-generic
Thanks for that--

What's the output of:
Code:
ls /dev/ttyUSB*

Drivers are listed under lsmod if you'd like to check in the terminal. Also, you may want to see if the ch340 driver is installed. Just run:
Code:
dpkg -L ch340

Also I thought more on what you said in post #3.
Changing the permissions on the /dev/ttyUSB0 should not have made it so that the device can't be used unless you moved it.
Cannot access, no such file or directory confirms that Bash the command-line interpreter can not see it.

The fact that it works on other machines that you tried but not this is baffling.
Did you use the chmod command on the other machines that you tried it on?
Faulty hardware maybe?

Arduino is for building instruments, to prove chemistry, programming and robotics right?

Last edited:
This may help to configure permissions. I'm starting to run out of ideas, I'm sorry.

Is there maybe a way to unzip a driver to somewhere?
What i this is happening is that my os doesn't recognize that this device exists
other arduinos (ftdi not ch340) work fine so it's not the port i think.

Is there maybe a way to unzip a driver to somewhere?
What i this is happening is that my os doesn't recognize that this device exists
other arduinos (ftdi not ch340) work fine so it's not the port i think.
Whatever directory you download the driver to will be the place that the command line will unzip the driver to.
The driver should already be built in to your Linux Mint kernel. If not, then you would need to install the ch340 driver. Just make sure using the 'lsmod' command, or the dpkg -L ch340 command, to ensure that it's not already installed.

Look in System Settings and see if usb and other devices is turned on so it's seen when plugged in.

If the port on your motherboard is faulty then it won't recognize anything that you plug into that port.
And if 'lsusb' doesn't see it then try this:

Confirm that the USB port is detected

It's one driver that is broken (ch340) when i use the "traditional" ftdi everything works fine

It's one driver that is broken (ch340) when i use the "traditional" ftdi everything works fine
Maybe try to dmesg the broken driver?
Code:
dmesg ch340

Another thought, it's been my experience over the years that if the wrong driver is loading first it will cause the device to not work.

More ideas for dmesg command for drivers:

The solution to this problem seems to be described here:

In short, uninstall the brltty package (Access software for a blind person using a braille display)
sudo apt-get remove brltty

The solution to this problem seems to be described here:

In short, uninstall the brltty package (Access software for a blind person using a braille display)
sudo apt-get remove brltty
Thanks for taking the time to look for that and posting it.
Now, let's see if that helps our friend, @vdzr

YES, it worked. Thank you so much to everybody that helped in this thead