Cheap Linux Desktop?

A

Adam H.

I am new to Linux, and I want to start off with some fundamentals. Mainly I want to take a computer apart and put it back together to understand what is going on inside. Could anybody recommend a cheap desktop, ( preferably under $100 ) that would be a good starter to take apart and put back together? Thanks a lot! :)

This is not really a Linux question, it is a Computer question...

If you want a BRANDED desktop computer you are missing out on so many anonymous, beige, un-branded boxes that people might have built themselves.

Look on ebay etc at second user computers. Look for something like aDual-Core processor, SATA (rather that IDE) and if it has a separate Video Card look for something like Nvidia.

This is not really a Linux question, it is a Computer question...

If you want a BRANDED desktop computer you are missing out on so many anonymous, beige, un-branded boxes that people might have built themselves.

Look on ebay etc at second user computers. Look for something like aDual-Core processor, SATA (rather that IDE) and if it has a separate Video Card look for something like Nvidia.
Great, thanks :) I guess it really isn't a linux question, but the computer I will screw around with will have linux on it.

Yard sales and thrift shops are other excellent sources for computers you can take apart and mess with.

I've also acquired systems that were left out for the trash. Collect several of them, make a Frankencomputer. One Frankencomputer I assembled got Smoothwall installed on it, and is now the firewall for my home network. (And didn't cost me a cent.)

Go with the recycle market, lets keep the landfill down.

You can get some pretty useful second hand machines.

Building yourself can guarantee better compatibility. Generally anyway. If I had some extra cash I would be building a new desktop. Now, as for laptops....

Building yourself can guarantee better compatibility. Generally anyway. If I had some extra cash I would be building a new desktop. Now, as for laptops....
I feel the same about building a desktop, if only I had the money :rolleyes: I was thinking about doing that this summer, but then the total cost was about $2,000 if I actually built a fast desktop. One day maybe :)

Yard sales and thrift shops are other excellent sources for computers you can take apart and mess with.

I've also acquired systems that were left out for the trash. Collect several of them, make a Frankencomputer. One Frankencomputer I assembled got Smoothwall installed on it, and is now the firewall for my home network. (And didn't cost me a cent.)
Wow, who knew trash could be that helpful, thanks!

Under a $100 would be a bit tricky. But if you're will to go a few bucks more ($110-$150), you can pick up a cheap refurbished Windows 7 desktop PC from either NewEgg or Tiger Direct and load it with Linux yourself.

You can be amazed what you can make out of an old second hand computer. I once found a desktop in a dumpster that was full of sawdust, with no side cover. I blew all the dust out, and found out that the only thing that was wrong was the power supply. Note that when getting older computers, it may be harder to find parts for. A good thing to do is learn from frame up. like what motherboard fits this case, what cpu fits this motherboard, what graphic card fits this motherboard, memory, etc. Knowing how to build a computer simply by understanding what fits in it, is key to saving time and money. You will make less mistakes when purchasing. But back to the topic of a cheap desktop..well i have seen newegg sell standard dual core intel celeron PCs that you always see offices, and POS registers. I have seen them as low as 89 dollars. They are standard as it gets, but its a good place to start.

raspberry pie model B

That was what I was going to recommend, but as I scrolled down, I saw you already did. Well, great minds think alike.:)

I own a Model B-2 Raspberry Pi. It is awesome. I would recommend this hardware to everyone that likes to tinker with computers or custom make their own system or robot.

The CubieBoard is more expensive than the RPi, but it is also more powerful. http://cubieboard.org/

That was what I was going to recommend, but as I scrolled down, I saw you already did. Well, great minds think alike.:)

I own a Model B-2 Raspberry Pi. It is awesome. I would recommend this hardware to everyone that likes to tinker with computers or custom make their own system or robot.

The CubieBoard is more expensive than the RPi, but it is also more powerful. http://cubieboard.org/

I picked up a good deal at a computer repair shop. Also, Goodwill and Salvation Army, etc. is a good place to look. Pawn Shops might give you a nice deal on older stuff that doesn't move to fast. Just be sure to run a good wiper program on the hard drive, or better yet, just buy a new hard drive.

Do your research though in the second hand market some pawn shops charge like wounded bulls. Like getting 2 quotes for fixing your car etc.

I would recommend a used AMD 64bit X2 4800+ Should be around this price
Also upgradable, you want to look for PCI express extension to make sure you could put a good modern graphic card and SATA connections for the drives.

I would put a light weight Linux such as Sharp OS my favorite, so it would run like new it actually looks very impressive but very light weight as well. Although this computer shouldn't have a problem of running any OS.

To get from www.grasshopperos.com

Lefty will sell you one off the street for about that much. Just do not ask where he got it from. Joking. It is hard to find a desktop for less that $100.00. Try a garage sale.

Members online