Class suggestions.

Jayv2251

Reaction score
Credits
It’s been over 20 years since I worked with Linux. I have a project that I’m interested in building a Beowulf HA cluster using Ubuntu. There are so many online classes via Coursera and Udemy, I don’t know which would be best to brush on my skills. Suggestions?

You can probably do okay with man pages and online tutorials. For example, we have this article:

I have to apologize! In my zeal to complete this pet project of mine, I jumped the gun in my question last week. The last time I had hands-on time with any flavor of Linux was way back in 2001 when Redhat and Mandrake were all the rage. I would assume in the many years that have since passed there's been enough change to warrant a refresher course.

Using a similar project as described in the Parallel Clustering tutorial, I found a youtube video showing how to set up a Monero mining cluster on a Rasberry Pi. There was a very important bit of information in that video. Once they set up the network and cluster, they needed a mining package that could be run in a multi-thread environment. They used XMRig with OpenMPI. So, as you can see I'm getting a more clear picture of where this is heading.

So, whether it's a paid website like Coursera or Udemy, or even free like YouTube who or where would you recommend then?

Expirion, I appreciate the link you posted. I regret however mention the cluster aspect of my pet project. I need refresh basic Linux along with bash scripting. Although I watched a 4 part series on YouTube setting up a cluster which covered installing ssh, making a shared file for all nodes to access (I’ll need to figure out how to put shared cluster fold on external drive attached to the router) then the YouTuber went over installing openmpi and finally testing the cluster.

While I admit I’m rusty with anything related to Linux in general. This video is still way beyond my capabilities at this time. I truely seek a beginner to advanced course on Ubuntu that take you from basic installation, configuration, and features.

Bash too, has more then likely gone through some changes in the 20,years since I last wrote a script. Old command have probably been updated with new flags for example, and newer commands have also probably been added as well.

I can see a script now that I’ll want to make to help add nodes to the cluster once it’s built, so as to make that less time consuming. I’d like a course in just that alone.

The intern is both a wonderful thing, and a huge headache at the same time. There’s so much information (and false/incorrect) it overwhelms you at times. Classes on Cousera and Udemy run from $10-$50. YouTube has a endless supply of free videos, but younger what you pay for there. Great secondary source of information though.

Members online