[closed] gimp - 2.10 - quick question

marbles

Reaction score
Credits
man i did something stupid (as usual) and i dont know what!!

sorry if the following comes out as word vomit, here goes;

ya know how in gimp 2.10 its setup like this;
left column = tools and stuff
middle = image you are working on
right column = more tools and more stuff ;)

well somehow i got rid of the right and left columns...and theres way too many menus for me go snooping around (which i tried to find, but i assure you don't want me to be doing as i would make it worse by turning something on/off)

heres a pic of what i'm seeing. if someone could get me back to the regular view, it would really help :)

thx

Attachments

• gimp.png
    gimp.png
    31.4 KB · Views: 77

@marbles :-

In all honesty, unless you've got any special custom tool presets set up that you wish to keep, the quickest - and simplest - way for you to get back to normal would be to go into your home directory, enable 'Show hidden files', then delete the '.gimp-whatever' config directory and restart GIMP. It'll re-create the initial 'standard' settings once more - as though it were a 'first run' - and you'll be back to normal again.

(I say '.gimp-whatever' because I run the GIMP as an AppImage, and the config directory is named rather differently. I've never run 2.10 from a 'standard' install.....but the config directory WILL be a 'hidden' one somewhere in your home directory).

That's what I would do. Others may know the proper, specific ways to recover your 'lost windows'; older versions used to always display three separate windows, then in GIMP 2.8, the option came to display everything as a combined, single window. In GIMP 2.10, that option is still there, but 'single-window' mode is now the default setting.

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
I think that'd actually be:

~/.config/GIMP

I'm not much of GIMP user, but that's the directory. Inside is a folder called "2.10". I suspect that's the one you wanna delete.

I say '.gimp-whatever' because I run the GIMP as an AppImage, and the config directory is named rather differently.
I'm sorry for this question but where did you find this AppImage? I discovered a site which has one but the AppImage is three years old and no longer maintained.

In GIMP, press the right button of the mouse on the screen element shown on the screenshot.

gimp-side-tab-context-menu.png

Then choose "Lock tab to dock". Make sure the check mark is on for the option. After that, the current tab that you're on cannot be moved.

You must change tabs and do the process again if you want all tabs protected from accidental movement.

This happened to me many times also.

@wendy-lebaron :-

My AppImage came from an individual known as "aferrero" on GitHub...

https://github.com/aferrero2707/gimp-appimage/releases

It's version 2.10.25, the last one aferrero built.....around 2 years ago. It's new enough for me, and does everything I want from it. I don't feel the need to 'update' it to the very newest version; it's not broken, so where's the point trying to "fix" it by doing so?

Again, this is considered to be "bad" advice to most people, who have been "trained" to believe that you MUST run the very newest version of everything, ALL THE TIME.

(shrug)

I also feel no need to have to justify why I do things the way I do.....to anyone.

Mike. ;)

I don't feel the need to 'update' it to the very newest version; it's not broken, so where's the point trying to "fix" it by doing so?

Again, this is considered to be "bad" advice to most people, who have been "trained" to believe that you MUST run the very newest version of everything, ALL THE TIME.
... as long as you open only your own files that you generate yourself with those outdated applications, that works fine. As soon as you start opening files from external sources, then updating has value. Those external files may be infected with malware that exploit security bugs in your applications. Some application updates include fixes for those vulnerabilities.

I can easily imagine a case of opening a malformed image file that exploits a GIMP vulnerability to jumpstart your new malware. I did not look at the details, but GIMP has released security updates in the past.

Keeping your systems updated is on every "Security Best Practices" list I have ever seen. Often it is the first entry.

I learned that lesson many many many times. How? Through fixing or recovering systems owned by people who followed your "If it ain't broke, I won't bother to update" policy. All too often, it starts when someone opens an infected file with an unpatched application. Usually the patches have been available for months or longer.

Voice of experience. Trust it or not. Your choice.

Running a re-mastered Puppy, with all your own, preferred applications built-in, the entire thing loads into RAM from read-only, immutable files. You can then remove the media you loaded Puppy in from.

Upon re-boot, you're back to a brand-new, squeaky-clean system again.

No way in hell is malware going to infect something that isn't even part of the system anymore, hmm? And at close, it all evaporates into cyber-space again. By DESIGN.

The only 'saving-back' to the system occurs totally within the virtual ramdisk that Puppy runs in for the duration of the session. You can also set your save-file or save-folder to ONLY save IF you specifically tell it to......if you run one.

Nothing is totally, 100% secure. 'Tis the nature of the beast. But Puppy comes pretty close.

Mike. :)

Last edited:
the entire thing loads into RAM from read-only, immutable files.

I suppose, in theory, at least, the in-situ software could be compromised, but it wouldn't be persistent. While it's loaded in memory it might be vulnerable. If you opened a malformed image file to a version of GIMP that was vulnerable, the malware might work on the files resident in memory.

The odds of this are extremely low.

Though I suppose it could be the start of something bigger (like a rowhammer attack) but the malware would be defeated by just rebooting. So, it's not going to get very far. I guess it could theoretically compromise your current session.

Go to > Edit> Preferences> Window Management > Reset Saved Window Positions To Default Values Then, Click Ok, Then Click Reset.

Close Gimp wait 10 seconds and launch Gimp again--

I suppose, in theory, at least, the in-situ software could be compromised, but it wouldn't be persistent. While it's loaded in memory it might be vulnerable. If you opened a malformed image file to a version of GIMP that was vulnerable, the malware might work on the files resident in memory.

The odds of this are extremely low.

Though I suppose it could be the start of something bigger (like a rowhammer attack) but the malware would be defeated by just rebooting. So, it's not going to get very far. I guess it could theoretically compromise your current session.
Just reboot?

Just reboot?

Yup. If you're using Puppy that'd resolve the issue. The malware really has no way to be persistent.

That should be relatively accurate for any live distro.

Members online

Latest posts