COBB Locked. "green updates"

spiltMilk

Reaction score
Credits
They locked COBB tuners.

Lets see if anyone wants to take on this project..

Completely remove the COBB software from the device & install a GNU/Linux platform that allows us to tune our cars however we want!

G'day @spiltMilk and welcome to linux.org.

I am moving this to Off Topic as it does not include a Linux support question.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

This could fit in 'embedded Linux', if we had such a sub-forum - which we do not. I'm not even sure if the Subaru ECU runs Linux. There are a number of small, specialized RTOS variants that can be used. It could also be proprietary to Subaru.

I'm not sure that anyone here is going to be of assistance. I'm about the only one with a car collection and I don't do much in the way of ECU tuning for anything that's going to be on the street.

We're also not "Linux". We're just a support site with a valuable domain name. We're not affiliated with Linux, just fans that support other Linux users.

That said, there's the ethical dilemma. Modifying your car in a way that causes it to have higher emissions is bad for the planet and, in some areas, very much against the law - even if it's hardly enforced. If you want ICE-powered cars to exist into the future, you're going to have to tow the line. Otherwise, they're more likely to more rapidly force us to use EVs and other zero-emission options.

So, I'm not sure how much support you'll get elsewhere. You'll likely have to look within the modding community - which has quite a number of smart people.

That and, well, this is an obvious thing. It was going to happen eventually, just like they'll start cracking down on the people who "roll coal".

There used to be (around 60 years ago) an upper cylinder addittive called redex....usually sold by the Mobil company.

A few squirts of that straight down the throat of the carby (of an already running engine) and then simply flatten the vehicle down the main street of my hometown and that was sufficient to blot out the entire main street for an hour or so.

Local coppers never did catch me ! (they couldn't see me !!!)

Members online