Command Line easter eggs

R

Remp

Hi guys I thought I will open a thread for easter eggs in the command line :) I've read about this somewhere, and I think I'll share this with you guys:

Open terminal, then write:

apt-get moo

And tell me what did you see :) After, you can try:

cowsay 'your text here'

If someone knows any other easter eggs, (I'm sure there are plenty of them) share it with us!

Hmm, what do they do exactly? And I'll type them in when my Linux VPS has finished installing a package, as it won't let me do it at the moment should be <2 hours.

Haha, I won't tell you :) It's a surprise :p By the way, you can do it right now, you can keep two terminals open at once... At least I think...

Haha, I won't tell you :) It's a surprise :p By the way, you can do it right now, you can keep two terminals open at once... At least I think...

Nah it won't let me run multiple commands at the moment, it's running a ton of processes at once, and surprisingly it's taking longer than expected, but oh well I can wait.

Haha the it's the Super Cow! :p, i loved doing that on my Maemo device xD

I found this one online -

# ddate
Today is Prickle-Prickle, the 16th day of Discord in the YOLD 3178

ddate is a discordian date format.

Haha, that's pretty cool! I found some Easter eggs in the Windows command prompt, but they aren't too impressive. I usually don't use too much of the command prompt anyways, so that might be the reason too.

That is awesome. I love easter eggs :). I will go do some easter egg hunting right now! Which is fitting since it is officialy easter haha. But yeah it is always cool to come across these things :p

Happy Easter everyone! :D DaReaper - that's a cool easter egg you found, you too Remp.

Hey thanks for the 'moo' one! I've been searching for that specific command for some time, I saw it in a screenshot a while ago and I liked it a lot.

P.S. Oh... a friend told me this and it's awesome: try 'figlet LinuxForum' and see what it shows up :)

I'm glad you guys like these :) Happy Easter for you guys too! :)
The figlet one is awesome, thanks for showing this :O Beware Facebook.... :p

Wow I love this! Never tried it before, but I am glad to see developers taking some fun in their work!

LOL, I just found this on the net, open the terminal or the command prompt on Windows, and type: telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Pretty good, huh? :D You can watch the entire episode, by the way.

apt-get moo

Open a terminal? I don't have to open a terminal. I ALWAYS have multiple up and ready.

Since I use Fedora, I fully expected to see "bash: apt-get: command not found". But I forgot that I installed the "apt" RPM package a while back. I've never experimented to see if it works, but your moo subcommand output was suitably surprising. Though the other one did not disappoint: "bash: cowsay: command not found".

LOL, I just found this on the net, open the terminal or the command prompt on Windows, and type: telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Pretty good, huh? :D You can watch the entire episode, by the way.

OMG i still remember this one, it's an old telnet ASCII animation of Star Wars, it's pure awesomeness.

You can basically do this even on the windows command prompt, that's where i viewed it on.

lolz

how about fortune cookie <install fortune>... fortune | cowsay.... fortune | cowsay -f tux.....

cheers ^_^

Hi guys I thought I will open a thread for easter eggs in the command line :) I've read about this somewhere, and I think I'll share this with you guys:

apt-get moo

And tell me what did you see :) After, you can try:

cowsay 'your text here'

If someone knows any other easter eggs, (I'm sure there are plenty of them) share it with us!
What does the cow say?
I don't know because it won't recognize the command

Here are some other command-line easter eggs that I can think of offhand:

The calendar program on the linux command line has a number of different calendar-data files which have facts about various things that happened in history on a particular day. There are several different calendar files available. Most are serious (containing religious holidays, or historical facts), others are not so. Like the discordian calendar and the LOTR calendar.

The following will display any significant event that happened in LOTR on the current day (if there is one!).
calendar -f /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr

Whereas:
calendar -f /usr/share/calendar/calendar.lotr -A 365
will display the entire years worth of LOTR happenings!

You can list all of the available calendar data-files with:
ls /usr/share/calendar/

There are a couple of easter eggs in Vim too:
For Douglas Adams fans, open vim and use the command
:help 42

Or for 'something completely different' try the following Vim command
:Ni!

Using some other common command line tools:
Star Wars fans might enjoy the output of this command:
traceroute -m 254 -q1 obiwan.scrye.net

This next one is only for the Ub3r l337 8l4ck h4t h4x0r$:
nmap -oS - scanme.nmap.org

And one of my personal favourites - Edit the sudoers file (you can do this with the command 'sudo visudo') to include the following line, near the top:
Defaults insults

After making the edit, save the file and exit Vi/Vim. The next time somebody tries to use sudo and they get their password wrong they will be insulted by the computer! XD

Finally, whilst not an easter egg per-se (it isn't installed by default on any Linux distros that I am aware of) there is sl, which sends an ascii animation of a steam locomotive across the screen. Designed to annoy you when you accidentally type sl instead of ls.... Which happens to the best of us sometimes!

On Debian/Ubuntu based systems you can get sl with:
sudo apt-get install sl

Like I say, not technically an easter egg, but it is quite fun. Especially if your computer is set up for multiple users and you are lucky enough to catch the first time someone else mistypes ls! XD

free-the-fish.png

not in the command line but still awesome. Shows that Unity has its roots in Gnome.

Staff online