Complete Linux Beginner looking for a guide

davidP7

Credits
Greetings. Posted this on archlinux , but thought it would also fit here.

As the title indicates I'm a complete beginner. My experience peaks at "I used ubuntu once".

Recently I got the opportunity to get a cheap notebook (Lenovo t440s), and thought this would be a great opportunity to finally stop using Windows. So I asked around what distribution to use, and somewhere I read: "If you really want to learn how to use linux you should start with arch - if you got that running you understood enough to actually use it."
mobdro kodi
Now I've encountered a problem. Since I have no idea what I'm doing and the guides I found require some sort of experience or know-how I'm stuck.

Is there a guide that total newbies could understand? Or should I start with a different distribution thats a little more "beginner friendly"? (I've heard good things about manjaro - maybe that could work?)

Last edited:

KGIII

Credits
It is my opinion that a new user should start with a user-friendly distro. In that realm, you have the Ubuntu flavors, even Debian, the various Mint flavors, and the likes. They have nice, simple GUI installation methods, large bodies of support, a wide variety of default software available, and all the help/guides you could ask for.

captain-sensible

Credits
Hi @davidP7 typing on phone so please excuse typo.The advice you got if you want to learn ..is perhaps a bit like if you can't swim and would really like to jump in the deep end. Now on manjaro I made the mistake of venturing an option without having tried it. Then couple of days ago I dragged and dropped latest manjaro 64 bit xfce edition onto a Ventoy formatted stick. It recognised my WiFi card .basically worked out of the box

captain-sensible

Credits
now regarding package manager of debian and forks ,once you know s few apt commands your away.looks similar except it's pacman.so I would give manjaro a go booting up os live and play around first.

captain-sensible

Credits
Posting in sections - phone auto speller driving me mad. From what I saw and experienced with manjaro live on a usb can't actually see why you couldn't start with it if you take your time reading guide and thinking and maybe some prep before install

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits
The Arch Installation Guide has all the information you need and Arch in general is probably one of the most well documented distributions around with their constantly updated wiki. If you find Arch too intimidating you can also have a look at an Arch based distro such as Arco or EndeavourOS, I've heard they stay closer to vanilla Arch than Manjaro does.

Last edited:

captain-sensible

Credits
It is my opinion that a new user should start with a user-friendly distro. In that realm, you have the Ubuntu flavors, even Debian, the various Mint flavors, and the likes. They have nice, simple GUI installation methods, large bodies of support, a wide variety of default software available, and all the help/guides you could ask for.
Yes that would be best alternative

captain-sensible

Credits
The Arch Installation Guide has all the information you need and the Archwiki in general is probably one of the most well documented distributions around. If you find Arch too intimidating you can also have a look at an Arch based distro such as Arco or EndeavourOS, I've heard they stay closer to vanilla Arch than Manjaro does.
On manjaro there was a guide on desktop can load that up -had enough on this phone

f33dm3bits

Gold Member
Gold Supporter
Credits

Nelson Muntz

Credits
As the title indicates I'm a complete beginner. My experience peaks at "I used ubuntu once".

Since I have no idea what I'm doing and the guides I found require some sort of experience or know-how I'm stuck.

Is there a guide that total newbies could understand? Or should I start with a different distribution thats a little more "beginner friendly"?
Here's a good place to start and once you've become familiar with Linux then try some other distros.

Don't start with one of the hardest Linux distros (Arch) and become frustrated and give up.

Start with a user friendly Linux distro such as Linux Lite.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts