Computers Have Been Gradually Going Against the Unix Philosophy

Yes, Netflix is access the web, but probably if these movie and game rental stores changed their business models where you could own the rentals instead, that could've made Netflix dead on arrival. Yes, a game is a program, but unless you used an emulator, you can't play Mario on Linux, and even if you did, it wouldn't feel the same as playing it on the NES.
Netlfix already changed their business model from dvd and vhs rental to streaming, they aren't going to just change it again.

Last edited:

The cost of streaming comes at giving up control over the format, and the algorithm knowing what content your consuming. With physical media, you get to watch, listen, or play it whenever you want, you get to keep it as long as you want, you can sell it (and if it's in the public domain or it's open-source, you can make and sell copies of it), and you have no big company being nosy.

As far as your concern about the plastic casing ending up in the dump, some people do put it in the recycling bin. Its unfortunate that not everyone does that, but that's besides the point.
If you rip a copy of a dvd or cd whether it's music or a movie/series and then sell the physical media you technically don't have a right to view/listen to it because when you bought it you got rights on the cd or dvd. That is why when the Bluray version of a certain movie comes out you have to pay for it again even if you already have the dvd or vhs.

As for plastic yes some people recycle but that doesn't mean it actually gets recycled.
Imagine if technology currently was still in the state that of the 90's early 2000's then that number would be even bigger because the more all in one devices means people have the less devices they have to have and can use streaming services which less plastic is needed. And it is still a problem even with our current technology so it would be worse if everyone had to buy a separate device for a specific function.

About gaming, I gamed on DOS before I gamed on a Nintendo classic and since then the old Nintendo consoles were the only ones I actually liked. I bought a PS3 and PS4 and one point for gaming but I disliked the game-play and control of the game on consoles, maybe one game that was an exception. So gaming on consoles is not for everyone and it doesn't have to be.

Lastly as already mentioned hardware was never about Unix philosophy but about software, they were one thing devices because before the 90's and early 2000's the technology wasn't there yet and if it was it wasn't accessible to everyone yet.

Out of curiosity with what device, besides your TV, do you watch movies or series?

Last edited:
If you rip a copy of a dvd or cd whether it's music or a movie/series and then sell the physical media you technically don't have a right to view/listen to it because when you bought it you got rights on the cd or dvd. That is why when the Bluray version of a certain movie comes out you have to pay for it again even if you already have the dvd or vhs.

As for plastic yes some people recycle but that doesn't mean it actually gets recycled.
Imagine if technology currently was still in the state that of the 90's early 2000's then that number would be even bigger because the more all in one devices means people have the less devices they have to have and can use streaming services which less plastic is needed. And it is still a problem even with our current technology so it would be worse if everyone had to buy a separate device for a specific function.

About gaming, I gamed on DOS before I gamed on a Nintendo classic and since then the old Nintendo consoles were the only ones I actually liked. I bought a PS3 and PS4 and one point for gaming but I disliked the game-play and control of the game on consoles, maybe one game that was an exception. So gaming on consoles is not for everyone and it doesn't have to be.

Lastly as already mentioned hardware was never about Unix philosophy but about software, they were one thing devices because before the 90's and early 2000's the technology wasn't there yet and if it was it wasn't accessible to everyone yet.

Out of curiosity with what device, besides your TV, do you watch movies or series?

Many people (especially collectors) also store the formats in their original cases on a bookshelf. Its also a shame that not everyone does that, but that reduces the amount of plastic waste as well.

Probably why you didn't like the gameplay or controls on the PS3 and PS4 is because this stupid trend of graphics over gameplay. I'm not going to say every modern game sucks (because I haven't played any in the last few years), but the graphics won't amount to much if the controls suck. I don't own any modern consoles because I fell out of the gaming scene after I got rid of my Wii (I didn't like how overly-sensitive the controllers were at times). If the prices for modern consoles wasn't so expensive back then, I would've looked into getting one. However, I did briefly go back into gaming after getting the Ouya (which only cost me about $150), and it ended up being a joke of a console. I'm glad the micro-console fad died out around 2015.

While dedicated devices are primitive by today's standards, that made them relatively affordable back then, and because they weren't IOT devices, they weren't invasive or oppressive.

I just watch videos on Invidious (a YouTube player site without Google's spookiness). I used to have a blu-ray player, but I got rid of it. One of my friends said he has a VCR and will sell it to me one of these days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was referring to companies like Blockbuster
Uncertain of the accuracy of the links.

Probably why you didn't like the gameplay or controls on the PS3 and PS4 is because this stupid trend of graphics over gameplay. I'm not going to say every modern game sucks (because I haven't played any in the last few years), but the graphics won't amount to much if the controls suck.
I preferred playing the Mario games on the Nintendo classic and the only game on the PS3/4 I enjoyed was The Last of US, as for why I don't like the gameplay on PS3/PS4 is most likely because I prefer gaming with a mouse and keyboard over a controller because my reaction time being quicker. I have gone to a Retro gaming event here and there and those old Retro games are still so much fun!!

Uncertain of the accuracy of the links.

I was aware of only one Blockbuster being left long before you mentioned it. The point I was trying to make was, in a hypothetical situation where Blockbuster was still a chain, and Netflix was still a physical rental company, Blockbuster could changed their business model where you could buy and own the movies, shows, and games you got from their stores, and that could've made Netflix become obsolete rather quickly.

Perhaps others weren't aware of it before I mentioned it.

No need to be snotty it ain't all about you.

You seem to have a tendency to piss people off.

I wasn't trying to be, but I now see how you took it that way. I've struggled with social skills my entire life, and while my behavior isn't anywhere near as bad as when I was child or teenager, I still have many ways to go. Its a slow and challenging process.

@SpongebobFan1994 I can't remember but do you have autism where there is difficulty interpreting things and perhaps responding appropriately ?
I would put myself in that category to a certain degree. (its one of my undiagnosed mental issues )

I would be quite happy to go and get it confirm but it was a three way vote between "me, myself and I " and i got out voted

I've written things and look it back over and thought Christ that doesn't sound good and I'm at my worst after a glass of wine or two.

I can't remember but do you have autism where there is difficulty interpreting things and perhaps responding appropriately ?
I would put myself in that category to a certain degree.

I've written things and look it back over and thought Christ that doesn't sound good and I'm at my worst after a glass of wine or two.

Yes I do. I wouldn't say I hate having it (because it seems to allow me to see things other people tend to overlook), but it does cause me to struggle more than most other people would. Regardless though, I never use it as an excuse for my behavior. There have been times where I've tried to imagine what my life would be like if I didn't have it, and from what I gathered of that, I would most-likely be just another normie.

Getting everything back on track, what are some movies, video games, music, or books you've bought from a second-hand store?

But Bob your going off topic on your own thread

Actually, my name is David. The reason why some people call me "Bob" on here because my screen name is SpongeBobFan1994.
Not necessarily. Because we were talking about how retro devices were designed to only do one thing, I should clarify that I wanted people to think back the formats they used on those devices, and then realize how fun they were back then. Had I asked "What were one-thing devices you used?", that would've been more to the point.

As computers have evolved over the last several decades, there's been a number of improvements made, but there's also been a number of dumb decisions made, and one of those decisions was to make computers all-in-one devices. When I say "all-in-one", I'm not just referring to these modern desktops where the monitor is attached to the computer itself (that's also dumb, especially when the monitor no longer works), but I'm also referring to how computers can play games, music, movies, or ebooks. While you can read ebooks using the image viewer in Linux, and stream games, music, and movies through some online platform, its a challenge to play physical releases of games, music, and movies in Linux because of DRM. However, if you play games on a game console, CDs in a CD player, or blu-rays in a blu-ray player, they all work perfectly fine because those devices are specifically made for those formats, and they should always be the devices you use for playing those formats. The only two things you should be using your computer for is accessing the web and running a program, such as Virtualbox. I should make it clear that using your computer to watch a 5 minute video about Linux is perfectly fine, because that's completely different from a TV show or movie.

Thankfully, because nostalgia is profitable these days, vinyl records are coming back, homebrewed video games is breathing new life into older consoles (though it still has ways to go), and VHS tapes, DVDs, and blu-rays are still being bought from second-hand stores. That being said, I encourage everyone reading this to take my advice and make it eventually become the norm.
Personally I use a Laptop - haven't resorted to using an Ipad or similar. It is also my DVD player and I watch Movies on it. As for records - boy wish I still had my Bowie LP's :(

Well David,

at the end of the day I guess its your thread. So until a mod can't see the connection between 2nd hand stores and the philosophy of unix and closes it; i'm happy to continue .

My wife is having a biopsy today so no more post from me until later.. we leave for hospital around 11am.

On 2nd hand stores i noticed that the best stuff is in relatively affluent areas, that makes sense since affluent people tend to buy mostly good stuff and thus also give away used but good stuff. The only exception to conflict with my hypothesis is my brother who is affluent but takes scrimpy to levels unknown in the universe.

I will give you a quick example , if going away for a weekend and staying in a hotel , he takes in to his room a microwave ,from the car boot hidden under a towel , so that he doesn't have to use the hotel restaurant and thus pay. While cooking his wife opens the windows and vigorously fans the fumes so as not to set off the fire alarms. How do i know ?- well for a family occasion we rendevous'd at the same hotel; i saw him take out a microwave from his boot and asked him - what the hell was he going to do with that !

Movies, i'm not bothered and laptop doesn't have DVD drive.But on books some fantastic bargins are to be had. I got a book on sewing for my daughter that retail price would be around 25 quid for 2 quid and a book on water colours, retail price again would have been around 25-35 quid for 2 quid.

For myself i'm keeping an eye out for a readable but authoritative and extensive book on wine grape varieties

Last edited:
Because we were talking about how retro devices were designed to only do one thing, I should clarify that I wanted people to think back the formats they used on those devices, and then realize how fun they were back then. Had I asked "What were one-thing devices you used?", that would've been more to the point.
You can edit the Title of threads that you create, but it may be a little late now for this one. If you want to change direction, start a new thread that is better focused.

For myself i'm keeping an eye out for a readable but authoritative and extensive book on wine grape varieties

Try OZ Clarke from Australia.....

Members online