Configuration of GRUB2 with Fedora 17 & Win7

N

Nikys

Hello! I'm almost new in the Linux system user from Ukraine. Since many years I was using Microsoft products and last of them is Windows 7. But now I feel that I want to try using Linux but can't begin it without Windows (because not all programmes by Microsoft supporting have substitute on Linux or it's not possible for using them on Wine or another utilites). I chose Fedora 17. After list of problem's I installed GRUB2. But now I have another problem.
From the grub list menu I can't use Windows 7 without changing of configuration. I must to change some note as 'lmd/smth/Volume2' on 'hd0,2'. But after reloading my changing of configuration are restoring. It's bad for me because I don't want to use this method for all time when I want to start Windows 7.
And now, I need to help how to stop restoring of configuration or how to write them for last without changing. Thanks for all your comments!
P.S. I'm sorried for my grammatical and lexical mistakes.
With kindest regards,
Nikys.

Kind of rare behavior. Fedora always installs grub in a perfect way. I ll try to download a new image and reinstall from the begining. The sense of the boot loaders ( lilo. Grub. Etc) it s to make simple the living between 2 diff os. Hope helps

Kind of rare behavior. Fedora always installs grub in a perfect way. I ll try to download a new image and reinstall from the begining. The sense of the boot loaders ( lilo. Grub. Etc) it s to make simple the living between 2 diff os. Hope helps

I think problem not in image. I downloaded different images from official fedora's site (with x32, x64 architecture, GNOME and KDE interfaces) and any image didn't install purely GRUB2 not on "pure" hard-drive, not on Win7 system. Now I don't find reason of problem and use compromise solution to hand changing grub.cfg. But it's not normally. So, I can't use ability to automatically starting last used OS even if grub file configurated and grub.cfg updated and changed...

You should edit /boot/grub2/grub.cfg in Fedora, with the changes that you want.
This way, you don't have to do it over and over. Be careful though, breaking /boot/grub2/grub.cfg will break boot for both OSes.

Members online