Confusion ........

sandybeast07

Reaction score
Credits
Iam completely new to this field so need a help. I have got Windows 11 right now with 8 gb ram and want to try linux so which virtual machine is compatible and how much space should i provide to linux from my ram. Any kind of help will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forums
As a Windows user, If you want to take the easy route then this will probably be best for you to try first, but you will be restricted as to which Linux distribution you can use

Oh and by the way, if your intended use is to run one of the Pen-testing distributions [hacking] then don't bother until you are totally proficient using Linux and the terminal codes.

@sandybeast07 welcome to linux.org :)

What he said above, plus -

General rule of thumb with VirtualBox is 62.5%, that is 5/8. So with 8 GB RAM, you could allocate 5 GB (minimum of 4 GB is recommended).

I am not aware of the figure for VMWare and QEMU.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

@sandybeast07 welcome to linux.org :)

What he said above, plus -

General rule of thumb with VirtualBox is 62.5%, that is 5/8. So with 8 GB RAM, you could allocate 5 GB (minimum of 4 GB is recommended).

I am not aware of the figure for VMWare and QEMU.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thanks buddy...

Oh and by the way, if your intended use is to run one of the Pen-testing distributions [hacking] then don't bother until you are totally proficient using Linux and the terminal codes.
oh no i just wanna explore using it and know how it seems..

Spin up a VM, make it 4 GB RAM and 25 GB disk space. In the VM, boot to the .iso and start poking around. You can do an installation pretty easily and that'll be enough space for you to really be comfortable - as it's unlikely that you'll install tons of applications or games or whatnot.

Members online

Latest posts