Corrupt Files after an Update Slackware 14.2

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
During an update today it timed out and retried 3 times.

The man page for bzip2recover say:
bzip2recover takes a single argument, the name of the damaged file, and
writes a number of files "rec00001file.bz2", "rec00002file.bz2", etc,
containing the extracted blocks. The output filenames are
designed so that the use of wildcards in subsequent processing -- for
example, "bzip2 -dc rec*file.bz2 > recovered_data" -- processes the
files in the correct order.

I'm thinking (as I've never used bzip2recover before) that the example is how I would run it in the konsole.
How do I know which files to use bzip2recover to find out if they are corrupt?

bunzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.

Input file = /tmp/slackpkg.arfe1R/patches-MANIFEST.bz2, output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.

You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover

data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

I ran another update and slackpkg didn't return any more errors or complaints.
The update and the upgrade went well.

To date I still have no idea what went wrong.
I'm chalking this up to a mystery:-

I wish I could have helped, but Slackware is still on my "to do" list to learn.

Maybe Paul @VP9KS or @captain-sensible would have some idea, but perhaps they are not around at the moment (what? People have a life outside of this Forum?? :))

Cheers

Chris

i'm running slackware 64 bit current; slackpkg hasn't gone that well for me in the past . i find it to much of a "general sweep" . i prefer slpkg https://slackbuilds.org/repository/14.2/system/slpkg/?search=slpkg it allows finer control at least it feels that way to me. You can enable disble repo , get a gui of deps for package and a few other tools. Even using that if your not careful and install a new package that then installs a dep that replaces ai previously installed dep used by another package it can make a package stop working. Currently everything i want including cinelerra video editor, chrom 77 from Alien bob is all working and everything is balanced. Ponce suggested don't use mixed packages , which is fine if you can get everything from one repo- i find currently you can't. But at least installing package by package, enables you to go back and look at what you had ( i.e a complete inventory of /var/logpackages ) means you can back track and sort out issues.There is info info in that to work out was installed eg
chromium-77.0.3865.75-x86_64-1alien

tells me at least the 64 bit was installed good !; it was from alien repo and his 77 version etc

i just use $ ls /var/log/packages > /home/me/Desktop/pkgs.txt i don't know if other people also back up /etc stuff

in terms of updates I should be going to Ghana, Africa soon. following a post Willy on his blog - his advice was 42 bit current is stable , go to Africa and do updates when you get back. I guess if we all wait long enough version 15 might appear ? Now heres a question would you upgrade from 14.2 to 15.0 doing everything necessary or , do a new 15 install ? which is the most trouble ?

Last edited:
The only pkg on my Slackware system that didn't come from the SlackBuilds repo was Chromium......so I don't think the browser is or was the issue.

Yeah, mixing pkgs is a bad idea, I agree and get where Ponce is coming from.

I read the man page for bzip2recover and it was complete greek to me. I didn't get how to test the integrity of the files that may have been corrupted much less how to find them.

Still a mystery. The good news is the system is running fine.;)

Maybe Paul will know?

Members online