Couldn't install any version of Linux on my Old Tecra s5 laptop

However you booted the laptop on a Win7 USB to install it... Linux will boot the exact same way. So will any bootable USB, such as those with diagnostic tools, or antivirus programs. If your Linux USB flash drives are not booting, there is most likely a problem with the program (or the method) that you are using to burn Linux to the flash drive.

I burned it using rufus.
This may be the problem. Try something else. I would recommend Balena Etcher to burn your flash drive. But you should also be sure that your Linux .iso download is complete. These files are large, often about 2GB or more, and if you have a bad internet connection you may not have downloaded the complete file.

You should only download Linux from the people/company that makes it, for example, linuxmint.com if you want Linux Mint. These people/companies will provide a "checksum" (MD5 or SHA256) that you can use to prove that your download is complete and not corrupted. If you have a good internet connection, you usually don't have to take this step, but the file must be complete to work so you may want to learn how to test the checksum. Let us know if you need help with that.

Latest posts