Covid Corner

In Australia, the Pfizer is available to Under 50s only, so Astra-Zeneca is the choice for most of the rest of us. Moderna has just been released here as well.

21 days between shots for the Pfizer. Astra-Zeneca 4 to 12 weeks between shots, with the recommendation here for 12 weeks so I can get my flu shot in between.

Many of the rural communities here are not equipped with the refrigeration necessary for the Pfizer to be stored safely.

Both the Pfizer and the Astra-Zeneca are equipped to deal with the Indian variants.

I had to go into a city to get mine. I'm pretty remote, so that was the only realistic option. There's a village nearby, but they don't have much in the way of medical services - there's not even a pharmacy. There's a hospital about 1.25 hours away, but it's small and not very good. Your best bet is to go into Augusta, which is a 2 hour drive if you stick to the speed limit.

(I realize that not too many folks know much about Maine's geography. So, details have been skipped for brevity and clarity.)

I'm one of those rare people (in the US) who lives more than an hour away from a McDonald's.

Your better off.

Yeah, I don't eat fast food anyhow. So, I'm not missing out on anything.

I'm not a health-nut, I just prefer better food than fast food.

You and me both and which is why I grill out as offten as I can.

By sheer coincidence, I made dinner on the grill tonight.

I actually do most of the cooking. I enjoy cooking. I don't even mind cleaning up the mess - if I'm the one cooking. I can cook without making a horrible mess and with fewer utensils.

I enjoy cooking. I don't even mind cleaning up the mess - if I'm the one cooking. I can cook without making a horrible mess and with fewer utensils.
You and me both, I am doing a beef Jalfrazi for tonight's dinner [its in the slow cooker] all I have to wash is one skillet which I browned the meat on..
Yeah, I don't eat fast food anyhow. So, I'm not missing out on anything.

I'm not a health-nut, I just prefer better food than fast food.
I can't remember the last time we had anything from any of the American fast food franchises in the uk,
{ not keen on the old fast food branding it should more rightly called Factory food], good food can be made just as quickly at home with fresh produce and the right preparation.

My wife and I haven't had our shots yet we are in quarantine for a few more days . My friend has had his- he comented he's read people who have had Pfizer get less reactions than those that had Astra-Zeneca shot. I will probably go for mine. My wife has an issue; last time she was injected with anything she got a very severe bad immune reaction - I mean almost anaphalatic . Shes been reffered to autoimmune/rheumatoid dept. I guess most will say surely the reaction is worth suffering to protect her from Covid but if you know what shes been through. Also going to any clinic i think increases to a degree the potential of my wife catching Corvid. So its a tricky one

I agree about the hazards of going to any clinic or doctors office.

My doctors have people wait in their vehicles once they have checked in.

If any doubt exists about getting a Covid vaccine always consult your doctor first.

We still do social distancing where we can and always wear a mask when in public places.

Yeah there a lot of paperwork involved from start to finish however that's how it works when the system is involved.
very little paperwork in the uk, you get a letter from the NHS or a phone call from your doctor get your first date, turn up give your name and address and go to the waiting area, when you have had your jab you are given a card with your name the date and the make/batch number,, if you made your appointment via the call center you are given both dates if through the doctors then you wait for another call a few days before your second,
the system here has worked very well up to now.

@captain-sensible
across the world there have been far more doses of the OAZ vaccine administered than Pfizer or the others, what I can say is on one of my UK forums we have now almost all had our first and most 2nd jabs, the reports of side effects for both types are almost identical for both, we have not lost anyone to blood clotting, [there have been reported cases for both brands across the world] although there is no definitive proof that the reported cases are correct although health regulators around the world take the cautious approach and say its likely..

Researchers have identified three subtypes of the Indian COVID-19 variant, B.1.617.

The above video is from the Youtube channel of WION.

India passes 300,000 coronavirus deaths

Last edited:
I agree about the hazards of going to any clinic or doctors office.
Im with you on that one, even before C19, i never went to the doctors unless absolutely necessary or the twice yearly BP & blood test , It is always far too hot and the air heavy for me, so I did a deal with them, I am now self monitoring, I send in my BP once a month, and state my condition if i need a blood test they will send me the paperwork through, if anything is a bit off I will tell them by e-mail, most times I will get a phone call and have a chat, only if the doc feels it necessary will I make an appointment to go down, works great for me only been down twice in 2 years.

the slow cooker

After my divorce, a couple of years after, my kids came to live with me. (I'm the rare thing that was a single male parent. Well, technically 'is', as it is still true.)

Man, I made so much food in a crock pot. I still use one today.

Yep same here after receiving the shot.

It was probably a bit over 30 minutes for the whole thing. I'd say it's worth it.

I had no pain at the injection site last night, but it's a bit sore today. I have some body aches, but that may be entirely unrelated.

COVID-19: Up to three quarters of new UK cases are potentially Indian variant infections

Same news here: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-57275276

UK COVID-19 statistics so far: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/uk/

World Health Organization (WHO) classified the Indian variant as a Variant of Concern, and said that it showed evidence of higher transmissibility and reduced neutralisation. Source from CNBC here.

Stay safe everyone. Wear mask, perform social distancing, get vaccinated

Last edited:
this is what i found by googling corvid : and made notes using notes-up
10 days for vaccine to kick in

incubation period 2-14 days

average to show symptoms 11.5 days

time period to become most contagious 24-48 before symtoms show

So its quite possible if i go to a clinic i could become contagious before the vaccine kicks in and give it to my wife , who is not able to take vaccine

Members online

Latest posts