Covid Corner

COVID-19: Indonesia battles one of the worst outbreaks in Asia - Sky News
Delta, Delta Plus, Kappa, Lambda: All Covid-19 Variants Explained - CNNews18
From transmissibility to severity: Everything you need to know about the lambda variant - World Economic Forum
Indonesia’s Daily Cases Surpass India, Marking New Epicenter - Bloomberg
Dirty air makes COVID worse, beta variant deadlier than original - Reuters
'Freedom day' or 'Anxiety day'? England to end COVID-19 curbs - Reuters

Media briefing on COVID-19 with Dr Tedros and Health Minister Jens Spahn (Germany) - World Health Organization Youtube Channel

If you prefer reading, you can read the same speech inside the video above from the link below (who.int):
Inside a long Covid clinic: ’I look normal, but my body is breaking down’ - The Guardian Youtube Channel
White House slams Facebook as conduit for COVID-19 misinformation. Video inside the link below. News from The Reuters
World leaders dial in as New Zealand hosts special APEC meeting on pandemic - Reuters
Fully vaccinated people who got COVID-19 describe their mild symptoms, and their relief that they'd gotten a shot - Business Insider
Summary:
- "Breakthrough" infections are typically mild and might be less contagious than other cases.
- The COVID-19 vaccines are extremely effective, but a few vaccinated people have gotten sick.
- To prevent more infections, more of the population needs to get vaccinated, experts say.

Last edited:
The unseen side of C19. This article is written with NSW, Australia in mind, but regardless....Applies ALL OVER THE WORLD

Good morning reader,

The question to the Q+A panel was simple and plaintive.

"How come," asked our viewer, "the person I may have been sleeping with for just a few months can come over and stay with me in lockdown, but my dearest friend of 14 years can't?"

Why, our questioner wondered, is an intimacy bubble defined only in terms of sex – new, cheap or otherwise – and not for what it really is: much-needed deep, human connection?

Or, put another way — doesn't anyone understand how lonely lockdown is for someone on their own?

The NSW lockdown allows for an intimate partner to visit but doesn't create the "social" bubble that was belatedly introduced in Melbourne during its extended second wave lockdown of 2020.

Not sure what the difference is? Let Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews explain that to you ...

The life of a single person in Australia can be a tough one. No campaigning prime minister or wannabe prime minister ever mentions you. There are working families, and hard-working tradies; deserving self-funded retirees, struggling pensioners: but never any mention of the unattached and reproductively unforthcoming individual Australian tax-payer.

You don't count. Well, you do really – you represent 10 per cent of all Australian households. You earn, spend and pay tax like everyone else, often with a higher percentage of disposable income particularly in younger groups, as income and consumption decline with age.

But more importantly than any of this – you're a member of the Australian community too and you often seem so disregarded that your membership must often feel highly conditional.

And if you're young and single you're way down the vaccination priority list – a decision perceived as both insulting and insensible.

So, the missing social bubble of the NSW lockdown feels to many like they've simply been forgotten.

The social and psychological toll of lockdowns has not yet been paid.

The bill continues to mount, to the extent that it is near-impossible to make a first appointment with a psychologist in Melbourne and the demands on services such as those of HeadSpace and Beyond Blue have gone beyond anything they've seen before. The level of distress they are seeing now is incredibly high.

Lockdown is lonely enough, but so much harder without the touch or the fellowship of another human being. As former AMA head, Mukesh Haikerwal said on Q+A Thursday night, that loneliness has major health consequences too.

At the start of my radio show on Friday, the first day of lockdown 5.0 in Victoria, Tim texted me. He was in despair, he said. He lived alone on a disability pension and could not get out of bed at the news of another lockdown. All he could do was cry.

We called him and made sure he was OK. Then so many listeners texted and kept doing so all morning, concerned that he get the support and human connection he needed. They offered to make calls to him or walk by and say hello if he was in their 5km loop.

So, bugger the official bubble. What people have shown again and again through this pandemic is their huge heart; their empathy and compassion for each other in ways just like this.

The fine print might not define the bubble, but no-one can stop you reaching out in other ways, making the connection and taking the time to take care of one another.

Make your joy and your concord however you can, within the limits of allowance, and keep each other in mind.

This weekend, with all that time on your hands, you can settle in for some great reading. Maani Truu has taken a look at the lives of the single in lockdown and at the other end of the domestic experience you can read about life in a multi-generation household … hey, it might just make you feel a little better about being single!

Virginia Trioli
ABC News
Australia

White House Covid-19 Response Briefing - NBC News

If you prefer reading, you can read the transcript from this link (whitehouse.gov):
Some points from the transcript above:
- CDC Director Dr. Rochelle Walensky said on Friday that 97% of COVID-19 hospitalizations are in unvaccinated people.
- She warned that the COVID-19 pandemic is "becoming a pandemic of the unvaccinated."
- She said outbreaks of the virus are happening in "parts of the country that have low vaccination coverage."
- After weeks of declines, seven-day average daily deaths have increased by 26 percent to 211 per day.
- Four states accounted for more than 40 percent of all cases in the past week, with one in five of all cases occurring in Florida alone.
- During this pandemic, health misinformation has led people to resist wearing masks in high-risk settings; to turn down proven treatments — in some cases to turn to unproven treatments and to choose not to get vaccinated.

WHO’s Science in 5 on COVID-19: Diabetes & COVID-19 - World Health Organization Youtube Channel
England’s Covid unlocking is threat to world, say 1,200 scientists - The Guardian
The U.K. recorded more than 50,000 new coronavirus cases for the first time in six months Friday amid a warning from the British government’s top medical adviser that the number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 could hit “quite scary” levels within weeks.
ukcovid-chart.png

WHO warns that HIV infection increases risk of severe and critical COVID-19 - WHO Official website, who.int
Fact Check: COVID-19 vaccines are not a ploy to connect people to 5G - Reuters
Compilation: COVID-19: What you need to know about the coronavirus pandemic on 16 July - World Economic Forum
- Los Angeles County will reimpose its mask mandate this weekend in the latest sign that public health officials are struggling with an alarming rise in coronavirus cases tied to the highly contagious Delta variant.
- Thailand reported on Friday a daily record of 9,692 coronavirus infections, taking its total cases to 381,907 since the start of the pandemic, as authorities struggle to tackle the country's biggest wave of infections so far.
- The Philippines has recorded the country's first locally acquired cases of the more infectious Delta variant, prompting authorities to reimpose stricter coronavirus measures in some areas.
- Britain's biggest supermarket groups will encourage staff and customers to keep wearing face coverings from Monday despite new rules in the country making it a matter of personal choice.
- A WHO-led team spent four weeks in and around the city of Wuhan, China, with Chinese researchers to discover more about the origins of COVID-19. Introduction through a laboratory incident was considered to be an extremely unlikely pathway.
For more details, read the link below:

Last edited:
How to cope with the cognitive effects of COVID-19? - DW News
Long Covid: What is it and what are the symptoms? - BBC
Mexico's coronavirus death toll rises to 236,240 as cases surge - Reuters
The anti-vax movement is killing people, and the right-wing media is egging it on - Business Insider
Fact Check-Homemade hydroxychloroquine should not be used to treat COVID-19 - Reuters

Last edited:
What's the point of posting 7 links of COVID news or articles a day? I currently avoid any covid news and articles like the plague because I'm tired of having to hear about it everywhere, so I'm not tempted to read such things posted on linux.org. If I wanted to be updated on all the current bad things happening in the world I will turn on the news channel on the TV.

No pun intended ?
I guess in a few years we will be saying "i avoid that like Covid19"
I was thinking of adding that to my reply but I didn't and yes "No pun intended".

What's the point of posting 7 links of COVID news or articles a day? I currently avoid any covid news and articles like the plague because I'm tired of having to hear about it everywhere, so I'm not tempted to read such things posted on linux.org. If I wanted to be updated on all the current bad things happening in the world I will turn on the news channel on the TV.
What's the point of complaining of someone else's use of this off-topic thread.... a thread that you have no interest in reading anyway? Others may well appreciate those reports, and the one you are complaining about has broken no rules or guidelines that I can tell. Please, lighten up! ;)

As @wizardfromoz stated in the first post of this thread:
I have given this a great deal of thought, and decided to start a Thread where people can come and share on COVID, and maybe learn something as well.

What's the point of complaining of someone else's use of this off-topic thread.... a thread that you have no interest in reading anyway? Others may well appreciate those reports, and the one you are complaining about has broken no rules or guidelines that I can tell. Please, lighten up! ;)

As @wizardfromoz stated in the first post of this thread:
I do have some interest in the topic where people share experiences on how the covid situation is in their geographic location and personal experiences because that is more interesting than reading news articles. I see no added value to the topic by adding 7 random links to a news articles a day, if I want to read news articles about covid there are plenty of news sources where those can be read. I understand posting a news article when it has to do with something you are posting about but only posting links to news articles adds nothing to the topic in my opinion.

I follow this topic for posts like this.
In Australia, the Pfizer is available to Under 50s only, so Astra-Zeneca is the choice for most of the rest of us. Moderna has just been released here as well.

21 days between shots for the Pfizer. Astra-Zeneca 4 to 12 weeks between shots, with the recommendation here for 12 weeks so I can get my flu shot in between.

Many of the rural communities here are not equipped with the refrigeration necessary for the Pfizer to be stored safely.
I had to go into a city to get mine. I'm pretty remote, so that was the only realistic option. There's a village nearby, but they don't have much in the way of medical services - there's not even a pharmacy. There's a hospital about 1.25 hours away, but it's small and not very good. Your best bet is to go into Augusta, which is a 2 hour drive if you stick to the speed limit.

(I realize that not too many folks know much about Maine's geography. So, details have been skipped for brevity and clarity.)

I'm one of those rare people (in the US) who lives more than an hour away from a McDonald's.

I do have some interest in the topic where people share experiences on how the covid situation is in their geographic location and personal experiences because that is more interesting than reading news articles. I see no added value to the topic by adding 7 random links to a news articles a day, if I want to read news articles about covid there are plenty of news sources where those can be read. I understand posting a news article when it has to do with something you are posting about but only posting links to news articles adds nothing to the topic in my opinion.

I follow this topic for posts like this.
This is Off Topic, and you get what you get here. If you don't like the posts of a particular user, you can simply Ignore them in your settings so that you don't see their activity. You seem to want the flow of this thread to suit your wishes for its direction and content, making you the judge of what adds value and what doesn't. That is wrong, in my opinion.

[EDIT]
Complaining that there are too many Covid news articles in a Covid thread is like complaining there are too many jokes in the -Linux Funny- forum... or too much music in the Rock Roxx forum. Or complaining because the style of the humor, or the genre of the music, do not align with your tastes.
[/EDIT]

We both are entitled to our opinions, as is everyone else here. I don't mean to start an argument, and I will gladly delete my comments if you will (or we can leave them for others to comment on). But I just wanted to express that everyone can post whatever they want in Off Topic (within rules and guidelines) and should not be judged negatively for doing so.

Last edited:
PAY ATTENTION TO THE FOLLOWING PLEASE

OK, folks, trying to wear 3 hats here - one as a regular member, one as a Moderator, and one as someone who is friends with people expressing different viewpoints.

I look pretty silly with 3 hats on (says the guy with the pointy hat, (and no, that is not the shape of my head).

I, for one, learn as much from reading this Thread as I do from the regular media.

I, for one, am thankful @MatsuShimizu has a sprinkling of good news (in terms of take up rates of vaccinations on different nations) as well as bad news, and details on new variants.

I was able to read of the Kappa variant found in Uttar Pradesh, India, and know that that place is also where Delta was found.

That being said, there are too many links being provided per post for me to take the time to read them all, perhaps we could put an arbitrary but flexible limit or brake on the numbers per Post - maybe 2 to 3, every few days? Thanks, Matsu. :)

The Rules here in Off Topic were pretty clear as first issued by Rob, and he allowed my help to make them even clearer. I find no infringement to be seen here.

Anyone who does not like the thread can exercise the choice to remove themselves from it, and exclude notifications.

Thank you all and stay safe.

Chris

would be nice if instead of several links; the persons giving links could simply give us an abstract of them all on one post - or is that me still having a bit of "slacker" in me despite not using Slackwareanymore . The response might be - yeah but that would be me giving my interpretation . Thats Ok i trust you

Boris Johnson backflips on decision to avoid self-isolation after COVID-19 case contact - ABC News Australia
Q&A: How to stay safe as covid-19 cases from the delta variant are on the rise - Washington Post
Tip: I think this Q&A is useful and worth sharing. But it contains ads that distract you from reading. You can use Ublock Origin to block the ads on Washington Post.
Indonesia reports record number of doctor deaths from COVID-19 in July - Reuters

Last edited:

Members online