cp/rsync

torben

Reaction score
Credits
Hi,
I installed Open Mandriva LX 3.0 and tried to copy my old home directory from backup tape. After a while and before the copying is finished the computer shuts down - everytime.
Can anyone help?
torben

Hi,
I installed Open Mandriva LX 3.0 and tried to copy my old home directory from backup tape. After a while and before the copying is finished the computer shuts down - everytime.
Can anyone help?
torben

Most things I'm finding with Google indicate the most likely cause is overheating for actual shutdown issues. A kernel panic, for example, is more likely to either just hang or else reboot.

If you just want to complete your copy operation, I would first try to do it manually, in small chunks, until finished. If you really want to analyze the failure, there are many logs you can review that may provide clues, but they can also be quite cryptic to understand (and probably beyond my skills).

To analyze the failure, I think the first thing I would start with would be to monitor CPU temperatures leading up to the failure to try to confirm or deny that as a possibility. If the PC is a desktop, I would definitely open up the case and vacuum out dust, if needed, and be sure that all fans are working properly.

Members online

Latest posts