Crash after installing OS

ChwanPang

Reaction score
Credits
Every time I install a distro a variation of this happens. It is always after running the partitioner part of the install and then mid OS installation. The graphics card is just the intel integrated graphics from a duo core 2,13 ghz. Running it live from a USB works without any problems. I cant lock the amount of cores it uses in the bios because it is too simple
Screenshot 2021-04-26 113859.png

Welcome to Linux.org

It is always after running the partitioner part of the install and then mid OS installation.
How do you know it is after running the partitioner part of the install?.....are you arranging your own partitions?

Did you verify the distro download?

Some more detail please.

No, I plug in the USB, turn on the PC, it then asks me if I want to install and I select graphical install, then I get those questions about language, password, etc. At last it asks for partition, I select the whole disk there because it is completely empty it then the partitioning loading bar starts and completes. Then the installing OS bar appears and is somewhat filled and then my screen turns to what I linked before.

I'd try manual partitioning at this stage.

What kind of storage medium are you working with? HDD? SDD? M.2 SSD with NVMe?

I tried 2 different HDDs one was 80gb and one was 1tb. What exactly do you mean with manual partitioning because I just wiped it from the manual menu and created a new one and I am assuming you mean something more advanced?

I just did the text install version and it ran into the same issue, just a different color pattern on crash screen. I also ran a memory test and it just black screened and went back to bootscreen. Hardware detection was not a problem.

Try booting the installation media with nomodeset.

Just did that, it took some time, then started printing tons of EXT4 errors that were going too fast to read. Then it showed the normal start up print stuff like with a RPI, but it was all blurred in the pixel sense. It then just went into a black screen

Last edited:
cpu: intel atom d2700
motherboard: asrock conroe presler fsb1333
memory: VD2u800B2G5-B 2GB
storage: ST1000LM024

which particular distro are you trying to install ?

Have you tried the USB on another pc?...will it boot to just the live os (without installing) on another pc?...without the dramas you are experiencing on your own pc?

You insert the USB stick.....you then boot the pc to that USB......are you able to run the 'live' version of the os before you try to install ?

Yeah checked the USB it works fine and tried another USB as well, I tried kubuntu, ubuntu, mint and linuxcnc which i think is just mint. The live OS works on my main pc, but also on the one that is not working. It's when I try to install it all goes wrong.

Has the hard drive in the one that is not working been formatted in any particular way?

Has it given/shown any signs of breaking down in the past?

I formatted it on my kubuntu laptop to NTFS, but I deleted that partition and made a new one with the manual partitioner that comes with mint. I have never had a problem with the harddrive, I have an unused SSD laying around which I could try if you think that might help.

ntfs is the file system for Windows.

Yes, try the ssd

Ran the mint installer through the live version with nomodeset. This happened. This is with the SSD. (256gb 850 evo)
image0.jpg

cpu: intel atom d2700
motherboard: asrock conroe presler fsb1333
memory: VD2u800B2G5-B 2GB
storage: ST1000LM024
Can you liveboot from your usb device, then open a terminal and share the output of the following.
Code:
lscpu
lspci -nn | grep -i vga

mint@mint:~$ lscpu
Architecture: x86_64
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit, 64-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
Address sizes: 36 bits physical, 48 bits virtual
CPU(s): 2
On-line CPU(s) list: 0,1
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 2
Socket(s): 1
NUMA node(s): 1
Vendor ID: GenuineIntel
CPU family: 6
Model: 15
Model name: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz
Stepping: 2
CPU MHz: 1834.197
CPU max MHz: 2136.0000
CPU min MHz: 1603.0000
BogoMIPS: 4254.94
Virtualization: VT-x
L1d cache: 64 KiB
L1i cache: 64 KiB
L2 cache: 2 MiB
NUMA node0 CPU(s): 0,1
Vulnerability Itlb multihit: KVM: Mitigation: Split huge pages
Vulnerability L1tf: Mitigation; PTE Inversion; VMX EPT disabled
Vulnerability Mds: Vulnerable: Clear CPU buffers attempted, no mic
rocode; SMT disabled
Vulnerability Meltdown: Mitigation; PTI
Vulnerability Spec store bypass: Vulnerable
Vulnerability Spectre v1: Mitigation; usercopy/swapgs barriers and __user
pointer sanitization
Vulnerability Spectre v2: Mitigation; Full generic retpoline, STIBP disab
led, RSB filling
Vulnerability Srbds: Not affected
Vulnerability Tsx async abort: Not affected
Flags: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtr
r pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush dts acpi mmx f
xsr sse sse2 ht tm pbe syscall nx lm constant_t
sc arch_perfmon pebs bts rep_good nopl cpuid ap
erfmperf pni dtes64 monitor ds_cpl vmx est tm2
ssse3 cx16 xtpr pdcm lahf_lm pti tpr_shadow dth
erm
mint@mint:~$ lspci -nn | grep -i vga
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]: Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller [8086:2772] (rev 02)

Try booting into your installation media with these kernel parameters, first the first one and if that doesn't work try the second one.
Code:
i915.enable_psr=0
i915.enable_dc=0
If that does work run the following command from the live installation media.
Code:
lspci -v
Then in the output search for the VGA section and then share what it says under.
Code:
Kernel driver
Kernel modules

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts