StandartUserNr...

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there.
My problem is the following.

My Ubuntu version is 20.04.
I installed the program Lutris and found a game to run. I downloaded the and try to start it and then my PC crashed.

Since then I rebooted again and again and nothing changed its not gonna back to Ubuntu again. Mostly black screen.

If I reboot the System I can see the Bios options and can enter the Bios menu.

If I don't press a button after the Bios options screen I will see a black screen.

If I gonna Press some button i can see options like "Ubuntu / more options" and so on. I can switch to different kernels and recovery modes. But whatever i choose i will see a black screen and it's crashed again.

It's possible to get to the Gruber command prompt that's all.

My USB starter stick isn't working anymore like i see the options and then it's crashed again.

I also tried to install an old windows version to have remove this program but i only have one partition.

How can I start Ubuntu without losing all?

New Ubuntu? Some startoption?

I hope of a helpful respond.

Greetings

Download a Linux distro that runs from the usb stick,
MX Linux allows that, its a trial option before you install.
Use that live usb to then uninstall the offending program.

Though it could be the offending program has made too many
changes to your system and you may need to do a reinstall.

Tell us what game you installed, also google if its malware or
dangerous.

During the boot process, press the SHIFT key over and over. This should bring up the recovery menu, where you can try removing Lutris and try booting to an earlier kernel, as well as run various commands others may suggest.

Thanks at first.
I could create a live USB version and it worked good. I can see my data.

Sadly I try to remove manually lutris, but the problem is still there.

To the recovery mode ... I could start it but ... Message came [...] ---[ end Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init! exitcode=0x00000100 ]---

As far as I can read through other threads it seems to me like i do need a boot repair. Can I do it with the live USB?

Absolutely - with 'boot-repair' ironically enough.

In the recovery mode, you can also try booting to the previous kernel.

Hi there again.
So i tried different things and now I can start the Ubuntu live USB and work with it. The next problem I finally realized that I have to mount my hard drive to see all the data.

Can I reapair now my boot system and how? Like in the terminal with "sudo..."

How can I do this, please?

Last edited:
I've never liked Ubuntu...you should try Linux Mint Cinnamon.
happy0034.gif

I've never liked Ubuntu...you should try Linux Mint Cinnamon.
happy0034.gif
Not really helpful. Especially since Ubuntu and Mint are essentially the same at the boot level.

Thanks for your help so far.

I brought a new USB stick and tried to make a boot of it so i can use it for boot-repair and so on.
I tried with another USB Stick the boot repair was fine. Now on the old one i have live Ubuntu usb on that. The new one i can use, but it doesn't work as a boot stick even when I'm change it for booting.
I guess I can change the old one again, But i once tried the boot repair on the old one and it worked but nothing changed.
Same failure and so on. If there is no solution for that i guess I need to make everything new.

Could be another solution with no boot-repair?

Thanks for your help so far.

I brought a new USB stick and tried to make a boot of it so i can use it for boot-repair and so on.
I tried with another USB Stick the boot repair was fine. Now on the old one i have live Ubuntu usb on that. The new one i can use, but it doesn't work as a boot stick even when I'm change it for booting.
I guess I can change the old one again, But i once tried the boot repair on the old one and it worked but nothing changed.
Same failure and so on. If there is no solution for that i guess I need to make everything new.

Could be another solution with no boot-repair?
Or can I use an analysis tool for more informations. And what could be a good for that?

Not really helpful. Especially since Ubuntu and Mint are essentially the same at the boot level.

No...Ubuntu is in bed with microsuck...Linux Mint is not and that's a very big difference. :eek:

Members online