Crashes with deep rock galactic on steam - need help diagnosing

chowder3907

Reaction score
Credits
I'm running debian bookworm on my framework laptop with an i7-1165G7 and Iris XE graphics. In deep rock galactic, my game crashes but only when a certain effect is shown on screen (that of bugs being killed with anything that kills them with fire, such as the breach cutter.) The entire game freezes and halts the system for a moment, though I can drop to a TTY. I am not specifically looking for solutions, though just somewhere to start diagnosing this problem would be very helpful. Opening steam through the CLI and running the game from there does not reveal anything. I do not believe this to be a general linux compatibility error as it 1. works well on my deck and 2. has a platinum rating on protondb

One possible way to start diagnosing this issue is to check the game's log files to see if there are any error messages or warnings that might indicate what is causing the crash. Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Find the game's log files: The log files for Deep Rock Galactic are located in the "Saved" folder in the game's installation directory. On Linux, the default location is "~/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Deep Rock Galactic/FSD/Saved/Logs".
  2. Check the log files for error messages: Open the log files using a text editor and look for any error messages or warnings that might indicate what is causing the crash. The log files are organized by date and time, so make sure to check the most recent log files.
  3. Look for patterns: If the crash only occurs when a certain effect is shown on screen, look for patterns in the log files that might correspond to that effect. For example, you might see an error message related to a specific texture or shader.
  4. Check system logs: If the game's log files do not provide any useful information, check your system logs to see if there are any error messages or warnings that might be related to the crash. System logs are located in the "/var/log" directory and can be viewed using the "dmesg" or "journalctl" commands.
  5. Try running the game with different settings: If you are not able to identify the cause of the crash, try running the game with different settings to see if that resolves the issue. For example, you can try disabling certain graphics options or lowering the game's resolution to see if that makes a difference.
  6. Contact the game's support team: If you are still unable to diagnose the issue, you can contact the game's support team for further assistance. They may be able to provide more specific advice based on the information you provide them.

Members online