Crashing to a black screen requires a reboot.

brasshorn

Reaction score
Credits
Hi All.

I'm having some crashing trouble with my latest 6.1.0-kali9-amd64 install. I installed Kali for the first time about seven days ago and on about the third day my screens started to go black. When this happens it seems like the laptop is still running but I am unable to get my monitors to display. This was not happening prior to the installation when I the time I was running Mint 21.1.
The reason I moved away from Mint was that I got stuck in a safe mode type of boot sequence and decided to "upgrade" to Kali. What was interesting is that after creating my partitions the installation would fail. After some research, the solution that worked suggested a bad efi partition and the solution would be to leave an unused 1GB of disc space before the efi partition. I doubt this has anything to do with it but I'm not knowledgeable enough to be certain.

[SOLUTION HERE]One additional thing to note, I have noticed even with Mint is the following notification on boot. My apologies for the photo but again it is on the boot screen so not sure if print screen is an option.
IMG-4708.jpg

This actually has been a thing since I started using Linux in 2019.
So does anyone have suggestions for how to solve this?

Thanks!

Last edited:

Welcome to the forums.

Could you tell me why you're installing this distro? Seriously, answer this.

Do you know what you're getting?

You should really try again with Linux Mint. Another one of the regular members who knows more about it than I do should answer you shortly.

The problem might be with hardware or the need of a firmware update.

EDIT: sorry, stupid typos getting in my way...

Welcome to the forums.

Could you tell me why you're installing this distro? Seriously, answer this.

Do you know what you're getting?

You should really try again with Linux Mint. Another one of the regular members who knows more about it than I do should answer you shortly.

The problem might be with hardware or the need of a firmware update.

EDIT: sorry, stupid typos getting in my way...
Thanks. Well, I'm a dev and in the future, I plan on running some security tests on a software system that I am creating. Add to that I also plan on hardening my local environment, and it was a good time since I had to do an install anyway. My other choice was to go with Ubuntu but I wanted to have more security-oriented tools, and since Kali is Debian based and highly rated, that seemed like a better choice.
Why do you ask?

UPDATE:
I was able to identify the cause and implement a solution for the bios error by adjusting the grub script. SOLUTION
And am applying the firmware updates via the package manager. NOTE: I find it odd that all these updates listed in the package manager were not listed in the apt update, but whatever.

Last edited:
Why do you ask?
I'm sorry if it felt like a personal question. It seems that you know what you're doing. Kali is going to be very different from "vanilla" Debian, to the point where you might have to be on top of it all the time. "Highly rated" is highly subjective because Kali was meant to be for a limited crowd. IJS.

I'm sorry if it felt like a personal question. It seems that you know what you're doing. Kali is going to be very different from "vanilla" Debian, to the point where you might have to be on top of it all the time. "Highly rated" is highly subjective because Kali was meant to be for a limited crowd. IJS.
I wouldn't go so far as to say I know what I'm doing, but I can manage.
Okay, thanks. I will keep that in mind especially since I'm not too thrilled with this UI and probably should have chosen gnome, which I'm not thrilled about either but at least have some familiarity. Probably should have a partition running Ubuntu, maybe...

Members online