Creating own Distro

E

enhu

I know there are lots of them available on distrowatch but Do you ever think of creating your own Distro of your own and then give back to the community and maybe create a forum supporting the distribution? Maybe its a good way to monetize site.

No, I have not thought of creating my own distro yet. That's mainly because of two things.

One is that I can see how the distros available have covered most of the bases pretty well. I don't see any point in creating my own distro just to have my own distro. The other reason is that I am still finding my way around Linux. Lots of things to learn before I can get anywhere to creating my own distro.

As for a forum, that's a good idea. I am thinking of starting one specifically about how to migrate from Windows to Linux and how to use the open source programs as an alternative to all the Windows paid programs. Not too sure about the monetization part, though. I can't see how anyone would pay to learn how to use something free.

I have created distros in the past. Mainly because the Ubuntu live disk does not have Boot-Repair installed. I use a program called Remastersys. The program can be used to back up an existing system into a bootable iso or to create a custom distro.

Basically, I just set up a new partiton with Ubuntu, uninstall everything I don't want, install the things that I do want, such as Boot-Repair, antivirus scanner, etc., then create a live disk version of my new partition using Remastersys. Creating a distro is easy using this method. Whatever is installed on the partiton is also installed on the new live disk.

As far as monetization goes, people do not generally pay for forum use. Advertisers do, though.

Thank you, Bill. That sounds like a plan. I think I may try that after I have finalized exactly what I want to use. At the moment, I am still in the process of trying out various desktop environments and alternative software.

I found a distro that's easier to fork such as puppy linux which they have a woof script that would enable anyone can create a puplet of your own. All you need is to modify few of it and create own icons, characteristic of this puppy and etc. However, I can't monetize it because apart that they do have their own forum, puplets are everywhere too, there's just too many of them to compete and I think a lot of them have already come up better puppies. Arch is also great as its also light.

Staff online