Creepy, Invasive Ads

D

Deleted member 111282

I posted a thread in the Off-Topic section about Autism earlier, and sometime later, that thread featured an ad talking about Autism. I don't care about what you do to resolve that, but I just don't want to see that again.

Use an adblocker, set it to be as restrictive as possible. Set “do not track” in your browser’s settings. Etc. And you won’t see as many creepy ads based on your activity.
Also, if websites offer a method of opting out of certain types of cookies - remove/opt out of all that are not required for site functionality.

As a result, I see very few ads. And the few that somehow get past my filters are often completely irrelevant to me!

I hadn’t noticed any creepy ads here on Linux.org before. But that might be because I’ve been using adblockers and locking things down since long before I signed up here!

Hey there - we only use google adsense on here.. no pop-ups, etc..

They show ads relevant to what's on the page you're reading. If you're reading a post about dragons, they'll advertise dragons to you. If it's about BBQ they'll show you grills.

Also, this site keeps running from the advertisements being on here :)

Use an adblocker, set it to be as restrictive as possible. Set “do not track” in your browser’s settings. Etc. And you won’t see as many creepy ads based on your activity.
Also, if websites offer a method of opting out of certain types of cookies - remove/opt out of all that are not required for site functionality.

As a result, I see very few ads. And the few that somehow get past my filters are often completely irrelevant to me!

I hadn’t noticed any creepy ads here on Linux.org before. But that might be because I’ve been using adblockers and locking things down since long before I signed up here!

I don't know why I didn't think about that at the time. Thanks!

I run Ublock Origin (default settings) and Duckduckgo Privacy Esenstials cause I use Firefox & Duckduckgo and no ads.

You can always play with the settings in Ublock Origin to find a level of blocking you want and always return to default settings and start again until you find that comfort level.

I let this site show ads. Once in a while, I'll click one.

I run Ublock Origin (default settings) and Duckduckgo Privacy Esenstials cause I use Firefox & Duckduckgo and no ads.

You can always play with the settings in Ublock Origin to find a level of blocking you want and always return to default settings and start again until you find that comfort level.

I got that set up earlier today

Members online

Latest posts