Custom Bash prompts (or other shells!)

LorenDB

Reaction score
Credits
Yesterday I dove into Bash prompt customization. Having emerged from the other side, I'm interested in seeing if anybody else has custom prompts in their shell.

To start things off, here's mine:
1662154813560.png

An overview of the components of this:
0. A battery indicator that shows if the battery needs charged or is charging. It will not show if there is no battery installed.
1. The standard user@host bit.
2. The "status indicator." By default, it shows the openSUSE logo. However, it currently supports detecting source code for C++ (shown above), C, and D.
3. The standard directory view. Someday I plan to add eliding to this, so ~/a/very/long/path/that/unfortunately/measures/over/fifty/characters/long becomes ~/a/very/long/pat...res/over/fifty/characters/long.
4. A git indicator shown if you are in the root of a git repository. By default, it will try to show the hosting provider (GitHub, GitLab, and BitBucket are currently supported); if it cannot do that, it will show the git logo. Also, if it happens to not be on the default branch (currently, the default branch is assumed to be either master or main), it will display a branch icon (not shown here).
5. The prompt. I've gone for the lambda prompt here as I think it looks really cool; I also took advantage of the little block thingys you see here.

These icons and blocks would not be possible without Nerd fonts.

This is definitely an improvement over the generic prompt that originally was generated by Ubuntu (I've migrated my .bashrc from Ubuntu to Tumbleweed):
1662155405767.png

So what does your prompt look like?

I am using Powerline defaults. You might want to take a look at starship.
2022-09-02_18-32.png

I've seen starship, but it didn't quite suit my fancy (and anyway, it's more fun to roll your own!).

A little late to the party but here's mine

ArcoLinux-2022-11-01-1667335622_screenshot_1920x1080.jpg

I took a lot of inspiration from Learn Linux TVs new video but its all my own work :)

ArcoLinux-2022-11-01-1667335867_screenshot_1920x1080.jpg

here's the code if anyone wants it;

PS1='\n┌─┤\[\e[1;31m \d\e[0m├───┤\[\e[1;32m \@\e[0m├───┤\[\e[1;34m \u\e[0m├───┤\[\e[1;33m \h\e[0m├───┤\[\e[1;37m \w \e[0m│\n└──[\s] ~ '

the icons get messed up when posting so you'll have to source them, let me know if there's any questions

Meh! I just stick with the default prompt. I don’t need anything too elaborate or fancy looking!