D3100 Dell docking station

C

ChronicUser

So I got my Fedora 22 as I finally decided to switch from Fedora 20 ( been using it forever, found it kinda hard to detach )

The problem is that I bought my new docking station for multiple monitors and it simply does not work. There is one display port on it and two HDMI ports for monitors and a bunch of USB 3.0 ports.

I know there are issues with display ports but I am not even using it all the monitors go over HDMI and the docking station is connected to the laptop via USB 3.0 as well

I ve looked online for the drivers with no luck also for some people it seams to work on Ubuntu 15.04.

Could anybody help me out.

Thank you for your time.

I looked into this a few months ago. There are a number of different "universal docking stations"/"port replicators" for sale on ebay. I concluded that they will not work with Linux. I will be surprised if someone comes up with a satisfactory answer.

Is there really no known way I can make it work as I read on the forums if I remember correctly that some people have managed to make it work on Ubuntu. I am using Fedora 22 and I only need the two HDMI ports to work

Last edited:
I ll try to dual boot Ubuntu and just see if it works there. However please forgive me if my question makes no sense because I am not an expert but I am not really using a display port at all there is one on the dockign station but I am not using it at all, I have a USB 3.0 that plugs into my laptop and 2 HDMI cables that plug into the docking station, should't that work eve without the support for a display port? Or is this a problem with USB 3.0 as one of your links explained.

I ll try to dual boot Ubuntu and just see if it works there. However please forgive me if my question makes no sense because I am not an expert but I am not really using a display port at all there is one on the dockign station but I am not using it at all, I have a USB 3.0 that plugs into my laptop and 2 HDMI cables that plug into the docking station, should't that work eve without the support for a display port? Or is this a problem with USB 3.0 as one of your links explained.
Linux has full support for USB 3.0 as well as Display port. However, the issue you are experiencing is a lack of support for the DisplaLink chipset in the docking station. The links I provided are to different forum posts and support pages with instructions on how to install the displaylink drivers on Ubuntu as well as how to port the drivers over to other distributions which has been done many times. One of the links disscusses a port of the DisplayLink driver to Fedora22 and how you can do that for yourself. The last Link is to the Arch Wiki page which has pleny of information on getting DisplayLink devices working with Linux.

Okay so I managed to install the displaylink drivers with the modified installation script and for about 5 minutes it sort of worked as I could detect monitors that were pluged into the docking station but I could not enable them so I decided to try to reinstall and after that it just would not work at all.

After installtion I tried to run systemctl start displaylink.service but in the log files I see the following message

Failed at step EXEC spawning /usr/lib/displaylink/DisplayLinkManager: No such file or directory

even though I have manually move the DisplayLinkManager there and given it 0755 permissions

Any suggestions?

OMG so finally after I had to do everything manually prior to the installation and than more work after I managed to get it to work and recognize my other monitor, but now I got a different problem. Even though I can see the other monitor I can not enable it in system settings and I haven't got a clue why, could you help me out figure it out.

OMG so finally after I had to do everything manually prior to the installation and than more work after I managed to get it to work and recognize my other monitor, but now I got a different problem. Even though I can see the other monitor I can not enable it in system settings and I haven't got a clue why, could you help me out figure it out.
well its good you got that far. :) Did you try setting up the X-Display with xrandr?
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/DisplayLink#Setting_up_X_Displays

I think you will be able to setup the monitor in System Settings after enabling it as an output.

Okay so after a few more nerve wrecking hours I managed to get it in working order with a slight problem.
Displays are functional but in a bit of a strange way but okay I ll live with it, by strange I mean that I need to keep my laptop screen on otherwise my mouse can not go to monitor two. Also there are slight and I mean really slight barley noticeable mouse lags

Okay so for anyone with the same problem, who would like to port DisplayLink drivers to Fedora 22
uname -r 4.1.5-200.fc22.x86_64

You will need to do the following:

1. Download the driver from
Can not post a link take a look bellow for Link 1
2. Follow this guide to unpack everything and get it ready
Can not post a link take a look bellow for Link 2
3. Get the modified installation script here
Can not post a link take a look bellow for Link 3
Unzip it and replace the old one with this one ( you can delete the old one )

4. When you run the script add "install" as the argument

5 Script will run and it will report that it could not find certain files in certain places, no big deal just manually put the files there from the driver files that you got and than run the script again

6. Again it will fail to start and enable the service ( at this point you are probabley frustrated but deal with it, it is just linux forcing you to learn )

To fix this you need to edit this file
/usr/lib/systemd/system/displaylink.service

and add to the beginning of it the following lines:

[Install]
WantedBy=graphical.target

7. Than you need to run
systemctl start displaylink.service
systemctl enable displaylink.service

Also run
systemctl status displaylink.service

To make sure everything is working
Than reboot the machine and hope for the best

I decided to post my steps here in case someone encounters similar issues
ryanvade can you allow me to post 3 links here to the needed resources? Or is there a way I can send you the 3 links and you can post them?

And either way thank you for all your help and thank you for your time.

I decided to post my steps here in case someone encounters similar issues
ryanvade can you allow me to post 3 links here to the needed resources? Or is there a way I can send you the 3 links and you can post them?
You should be able to PM me links and I can post them for you. I have to follow forum rules.

Argh same things tried to send a PM but prevented.

So you can find the links on pastebin, the URL ends with the symbols bellow
nxVhyPhy

Members online

Latest posts