Database recommendations?

dontommy

Reaction score
Credits
Hey
New to the forum.. hey;)

My work station have for years been different variants of linux.
However on the server side, I am running Windows - and only because of the MS SQL Server.
The best part of MS SQL Server, is for me, the SQL Agent Jobs. Where I easy can call a number of python scripts, and stored procedure in the correct order. And get a nice overview over the different agent jobs running, and see where they fail etc etc.

However I want to change my server to linux - and for that I need a database system, that have features and nice overview like the MS SQL Server and SQL Agent Jobs.
And have a nice GUI tool, to work in.

What can you guys recommend? MariaDB, mySQL, Postgre or another?
Let me hear your thoughts, thanks:)

(And no MS SQL Server for Linux, is not an option for me)

Last edited:

Why is MS-SQL Server for Linux not an option for you, if you have experience with MS-SQL why no use what you know? If you want a real database system like MS-SQL you could have a look at Oracle.

Last edited:
I use MySQL and MariaDB, though I seldom need to interact with 'em. I've even got a small site that uses SQLite, which runs like a champ. When you say a nice GUI to work with, what exactly are you wanting to do with it? I use phpMyAdmin (for example), which can't really be referred to as a 'nice GUI' but it meets my simple needs.

I use MySQL and MariaDB, though I seldom need to interact with 'em. I've even got a small site that uses SQLite, which runs like a champ. When you say a nice GUI to work with, what exactly are you wanting to do with it? I use phpMyAdmin (for example), which can't really be referred to as a 'nice GUI' but it meets my simple needs.
I also like SQLIte3 it has apparently capacity circa 281TB surely thats enough for most web s ; MySQl has user db password and user but doesn't add anything to whats using it. What would you say are thr downsides of Sqlite3 ?

What would you say are thr downsides of Sqlite3 ?

Last I knew, it was limited to just 2 GB? Other than that, it was great. If that has been changed, I'd not be surprised to see more projects adopt it. It's fast, doesn't require installation, it's easily transferred, etc... It's a great system.

That's impressive. I'd expect to see some projects offering it as a solution/choice. I know you can configure WordPress to use SQlite with a plugin, and WP runs a giant chunk of the 'net.

i've got WP on apache local host (for research ) with sqlite plugin ;this one:

=== SQLite Integration ===
Contributors: kjmtsh
Plugin Name: SQLite Integration
Plugin URI: http://dogwood.skr.jp/wordpress/sqlite-integration/
Tags: database, SQLite, PDO
Author: Kojima Toshiyasu
Author URI: http://dogwood.skr.jp/
Requires at least: 3.3
Tested up to: 4.1.1
Stable tag: 1.8.1
License: GPLv2
License URI: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-2.0.html

last time i looked it wasn't officially available . Also i found it doesn't work with e-commerce eg woocommerce. I use sqlite with all my web don't see the point of MySQl

last time i looked it wasn't officially available

No, you need a plugin - as you have done. It's not native.

Also i found it doesn't work with e-commerce eg woocommerce.

That's going to be a showstopper for greater adoption. Those are essential plugins for some folks and are entire ecosystems.

But, maybe... We need to find a way to make it trendy, and that'll lead to greater adoption. Heck, it's even ACID compliant, I'm pretty sure. I'm pretty sure you can even host it on an external server. I'm not so sure if you can run it across clusters, but there's probably a way.

I'm not so sure if you can run it across clusters, but there's probably a way.
Yes, you can, with distributed sqlite a.k.a. dqlite:

It's important to note SQLite's limitations and only use it for appropriate use-cases:

TL;DR: Don't use it if the data is separated from the application by a network, if there are many concurrent writers, or big data (terabyte area). In those situations, you should use a proper client-server database system.

Back to the original question about alternatives to MS SQL and SQL Agent Jobs:
The best part of MS SQL Server, is for me, the SQL Agent Jobs. Where I easy can call a number of python scripts, and stored procedure in the correct order. And get a nice overview over the different agent jobs running, and see where they fail etc etc.

However I want to change my server to linux - and for that I need a database system, that have features and nice overview like the MS SQL Server and SQL Agent Jobs.
And have a nice GUI tool, to work in.

What can you guys recommend? MariaDB, mySQL, Postgre or another?
Let me hear your thoughts, thanks
MariaDB has quite extensive documentation for people who are migrating from SQL Server:

I'm not familiar with SQL Agent Jobs, but it sounds a bit like what I'm trying to do in a little Github project here: https://github.com/DiamondLightSource/db-reports

It doesn't have a GUI or anything yet, but that is a long-term goal. My current plan is to integrate it with Ansible.

Why is MS-SQL Server for Linux not an option for you, if you have experience with MS-SQL why no use what you know? If you want a real database system like MS-SQL you could have a look at Oracle.

Wasn't going to say it first, but database on Linux ... I have only 1 answer: Oracle
But then you'd need the correct distro

Last I knew, it was limited to just 2 GB? Other than that, it was great. If that has been changed, I'd not be surprised to see more projects adopt it. It's fast, doesn't require installation, it's easily transferred, etc... It's a great system.

2GB ? Haha, that's pathetic

That's not a database, it's a data mini-collection

2GB ? Haha, that's pathetic

That's not a database, it's a data mini-collection

They appear to have fixed that limit, according to a comment in the thread.

Conceptually, it's a neat project. I do have a private site with a to-do list and it uses SQLite. Man, I need to nuke that site or actually use it.