Deb Packages

Nik-Ken-Bah

Reaction score
Credits
Just a wondering.
Can I download a Deb package using another source to download it?
Then transferring it to my distro of Linux as it is incapable of connecting to the net.
The package will provide help in remedying that annoyance.

AS in download, and stick it on a usb stick....then put the usb stick into the offending pc ?.....I cannot see why that would not work....worth a try....lots to gain and nothing to lose

With my slackware due to having erratic internet and possible trips to Ghana , on my portable hard-drive i have 2 folders for slackware 14.2 stable. One for builds and one for pre built packages. So on slackware to install a pre-built package its simple as # installpkg <packagename> More than often package install and it all works. This is not always the case and for some things like Clamav i prefer to run the build on a PC . The reason is that some builds prompt you such as "you need to create group and add your self to it" also running a build always you some tweaks eg COUNTRY=?? ./clamav.SlackBuild

But if the questions is can i download a slackbuild on one computer and run it 6 months later on another- yes i can. Theres a couple of things i might take into account 1) build might be slightly old (i can live with that) 2) I got <package>.SlackBuild and source for 32 bit , but oh the other pc is 64 bit or visa versa can cause glitches. Could i save on a one pc (32 bit) slackbuild and source for 32bit drag and drop to another PC - yes no problem.

Just a wondering.
Can I download a Deb package using another source to download it?
Then transferring it to my distro of Linux as it is incapable of connecting to the net.
The package will provide help in remedying that annoyance.
Yes, you can do this... but you will still be annoyed with the method. Very annoyed, I would guess. The reason is dependencies. If you transfer a .deb file to your Mint machine, let's call it test.deb... you will need to run this command, sudo dpkg --info test.deb to see what dependencies are needed for that program to work. Then you will need to go get those .deb files and install first. But wait... those dependencies may have their own dependencies too. This can get very ugly, very fast, in some cases. But actually, this is the way things used to be done in the early days of Linux.

Okay, some programs have everything they need without further dependencies. So these would not be too bad for you to install. The command sudo dpkg -i test.deb would install our example file.

This is one of the big reasons to get your internet working with Mint. The Synaptic Package Manager, or Software Manager, or the gdebi utility, will all assist you in installing working software with all the dependencies satisfied.

One more thing... I am not familiar with "snap" and "flatpak" packages except to know that they are self-contained software with everything you need to install and run. You might want to Google up more info about these methods to see if they can help. But not all software will be available in these formats, so it's a bit of a guess whether you'll find what you want.

Good luck!

Just down loaded the PPPOE file and the PPPOEconfig file
So here a hoping on the morrow. :eek::D

And guess what happen when I tried to install said packages!
They were both already installed!!
But when I originally requested the man page for PPPOE it came back and said no not found.
But once I tried to and install them it said they are already installed, so I went and requested the Man page for PPPOE it polity said here you are and displayed it!!!:confused::( I just don't get it?!

I just don't get it?!
I don't either. I just checked my fresh install of Mint MATE, and it has pppoeconf installed, but not pppoe. I ran pppoeconf just for laughs, and it actually worked... it searched 2 network interfaces (wired and wireless) looking for a pppoe capable connection, but of course it failed because I don't have that type of connection available. (But you do!)

I am hopeful that your Network Manager and/or pppoe/pppoeconf will get you online soon. It just should not be this hard. But then, few of us have used pppoe in a long while, so it's kind of hard to think back to setting this up. It's almost like setting up a dialup connection again.