Debian 10 and Firefox 91.6 ESR VS. The Current Version of Firefox >SOLVED

Alexzee

Reaction score
Credits
Ok, so I've got Firefox version 91.6 ESR installed and running on my Debian 10 Gnome box.
It run's fine but I can't go to websites that I need to go to and that's bad.

If I remove the ESR version and download and install the newest version of FF will I have to keep baby sitting it to keep it up to date?

Anyway; I was thinking I could just backup all of my bookmarks, remove FF ESR untar the current FF version and run it from the folder if I had to. I've done it before but this is Gnome and I'd rather have FF launch from the Gnome launcher.

Alex, I cannot say with certainty as I have not tried this method, but this may be of interest.

https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/12/how-to-install-latest-firefox-non-esr.html

To my cursory inspection, it would appear to allow regular updates of the new Firefox, also allowing you to keep the ESR alongside while you evaluate.

Of course, don't forget the Timeshift snapshot ;)

Wiz
I seem to remember that clicking on a setting in the FF menu that enables it to up date.
Thanks for the link and the how to.

I'll launch Timeshift before I rm FF ESR, thanks for reminding me.

Ok, so I've got Firefox version 91.6 ESR installed and running on my Debian 10 Gnome box.
It run's fine but I can't go to websites that I need to go to and that's bad.

If I remove the ESR version and download and install the newest version of FF will I have to keep baby sitting it to keep it up to date?
You can simply use the flatpak and the flat daemon will look for update 15 min or so after each start. Diff update will happen behind the scenes.

You can simply use the flatpak and the flat daemon will look for update 15 min or so after each start. Diff update will happen behind the scenes.
I really don't want to use a flatpak.
After talking to a dev about an application (Xiphos) I was using he advised me not to use flatpak's.
When I used the flatpak the app didn't function properly.

Anyway; I was thinking I could just backup all of my bookmarks, remove FF ESR untar the current FF version and run it from the folder if I had to. I've done it before but this is Gnome and I'd rather have FF launch from the Gnome launcher.

Yes. You'll have to download the new binary and write the new files over the old files.

I think Firefox itself will now check for updates and pop up a window telling you to do so. I seem to recall that being a feature the last time I tried. It won't update itself, you'll have to do that manually.

Yes. You'll have to download the new binary and write the new files over the old files.

I think Firefox itself will now check for updates and pop up a window telling you to do so. I seem to recall that being a feature the last time I tried. It won't update itself, you'll have to do that manually.

A update a few minutes ago fixed the problem.
Now I can go to the sites I couldn't go to before.

If it happens again I've got the ammo I need now to fix it.
Thanks!

If it happens again I've got the ammo I need now to fix it.

Nice! I like to call 'em tools. "It's another tool in my toolbox."

Lubuntu (a flavor of Ubuntu), which is a fork of Debian. Debian is the upstream supplier.
One of these days I'll give Lubuntu a spin.

One of these days I'll give Lubuntu a spin.

Man, I've had a day...

Anyhow, absolutely. It's a lovely OS. As there's no rush, you might as well wait until 22.04 is out.

Man, I've had a day...

Anyhow, absolutely. It's a lovely OS. As there's no rush, you might as well wait until 22.04 is out.
Sometimes life can be really taxing and stressful. I know what you mean.
Yeah, I'll wait until 22.04 is out:-

Looking at the Lubuntu main page, I think I'm going to like it.

I'm biased, but my bias stems from me being a legit fan. I'm an official Lubuntu member, due to the many hours of work I've put into making it a better distro (among other things).

I'm biased, but my bias stems from me being a legit fan. I'm an official Lubuntu member, due to the many hours of work I've put into making it a better distro (among other things).
That's good news. Are you a developer now for Lubuntu?

That's good news. Are you a developer now for Lubuntu?

I mostly do testing, but I am pretty sure I'd be considered 'on the dev team'. I'm an 'official member', meaning all sorts of things, from an Ubuntu/Lubuntu email address to apparently the ability to speak for Ubuntu.and Lubuntu.

I'm really a Lubuntu team member, but in order to do so I have to also be an Ubuntu member. So, yeah... I don't really make it a habit to speak on behalf of Ubuntu. But, yeah, you could email me at my @ubuntu.com or my @lubuntu.me email address all official-like.

Actually, I may take up Ubuntu on a chance to speak at one of their events - but not yet, I want to fit in a while longer.

I mostly do testing, but I am pretty sure I'd be considered 'on the dev team'. I'm an 'official member', meaning all sorts of things, from an Ubuntu/Lubuntu email address to apparently the ability to speak for Ubuntu.and Lubuntu.

I'm really a Lubuntu team member, but in order to do so I have to also be an Ubuntu member. So, yeah... I don't really make it a habit to speak on behalf of Ubuntu. But, yeah, you could email me at my @ubuntu.com or my @lubuntu.me email address all official-like.

Actually, I may take up Ubuntu on a chance to speak at one of their events - but not yet, I want to fit in a while longer.
Is testing challenging?
Do you have to fix a lot of broken pkg's?

Fitting in a while longer makes sense.

Members online